Tuesday, November 2, 2010

You Have My Vote

I didn't vote today.

They won't let me in this country for some reason. Like I would if they did. I've never voted in my country either. I don't know that I ever lived there in an election year when I was old enough to vote.

I had to go and pick Steve up at work so we were listening to the results of the election as the votes were being counted on the drive. Steve and I were commenting back and forth on the different candidates and offices and the fact that it had just been announced that the Republicans gained the 39 seats it was looking for in the house... suddenly he looks over at me and says, "Imagine! You and I talking politics".  And we laughed. It just doesn't happen. We were not made of the right stuff.

Later, as we gathered with the girls for night time prayer Christina asked, "Did Burnett win the election for sheriff?"

"Yes", I said, "Actually, he did."

There was a whole lot of hooting and hollering and cheering. It all sounded a bit fake... and then we nearly died laughing because it was VERY FAKE. We have no idea what the guy stands for, or if he's the man for the job. All we know is the girls take A&P with the guy's son and so they wanted him to win if only for their friend's sake.

As one of the girl's noted this morning, "Ah, it's election day! Finally, all those ugly signs will be GONE. It will be nice to get this place cleaned up!"

Maybe it's because we aren't American, maybe it's because we don't know anything, maybe it's because we are not politically minded, but it sure doesn't seem to us to make any difference who's in office. Nothing is very permanent. A change for the good is defeated in the next term. An election year favors the Republicans one season and the next it favors the Democrats and back again, but actually this country is going in one direction and it's going there fast - down.... deeper and deeper in debt, bigger and bigger government, and more and more immoral. It really can't last.

I'll be glad when the Lord comes and ends all this world's misery.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on that!