Friday, November 5, 2010

The Leaves are Falling

Today
We raked.
We swept.
We mowed.
We picked pumpkins.


This has got to be the nicest fall ever.

Yesterday
Missy and I hiked over the mountain
farther than we've ever gone before.
We found out where the bears live.
There were perfect paw prints every where
as well as other signs.
I offered to call them out of the bushes for a visit,
but she wasn't into that.
So wishing I had a camera with me.
Hiked back through miles of orchards.
As far as the eye could see
there were golden yellow trees
in impeccable lines.
- the ground decorated with the brilliant leaves.

(Except where the dead coyote lay.
His face frozen in a permanent snarl.
Even I jumped when I nearly stepped on him.
His teeth were just a little intimidating.)

But for some reason, 
today
Missy doesn't want to go see where the bears live
over the mountain,
or hike for miles in orchards.
She'd rather just say,

"Yes, Mom".

So, we had time to rake leaves
and pick pumpkins and squash
and make muffins.

We'll just postpone our second trip to see where the bears live
for another day.
Maybe we'll even get to see one.
I'll take my camera just in case.

Ps. Buster isn't interested in visiting the bears' home either.
Those, city slickers!!!
:)

2 comments:

Dee said...

count me in as a city slicker, no bears for me! ;)

Oldqueen44 said...

You are very humerous.