Monday, November 8, 2010

My Legs are Killing Me

Too much hiking, I think.

No time for raking leaves or picking pumpkins today.
We had to go hiking. 

We hiked o'er hill and vale and introduced Buster to bear tracks and scat.
He's duly impressed
and amazingly not scared
which is good.

It was not my intention to scare him... but we talked about where they live and what they eat.

I chose an alternative route for the return trip.
We'll skip that next time.
It was a rather rough cross-country experience I'm not going to purposely repeat.
Both kids were troupers,
but they're definitely tired out.

Missy kept saying, 
"I love you, mommy!"
She held my hand much of the way.

And Buster apologized for his fit over having to re-brush his teeth 
when I found broccoli bits on his front teeth.


All this hiking is either going to help the kiddos realize that tantrums aren't worth it,
OR
They'll turn into really, really healthy and strong naughty children.
I figure I can't go wrong.
Being outdoors getting their exercise
should be healing
and good for their mental, physical and spiritual well-being,
I'm betting the one-on-one attention for all those hours is good for bonding and attachment.

As for me,
I'm ready for bed and my knees are throbbing.

PS. I have to say, while Missy was having a hard time being happy and telling the truth when she was doing her chores this morning, she did not lose her head screaming. I am more than sure that if I had let her have anything with dairy at the potluck last night this would not have been the case. The diet is going well. No gluten, no casein, no sugar, no food colorings, no anything unnatural - we've gone a whole week so far. Missy was not thrilled that I limited her at the church meal last night. She ate what I gave her and then asked for more. I said, "Sure, I'll get you another baked potato." and I walked off with her plate. She started yelling - "NO! I WANT REAL FOOD!! I WANT CAKE and BUNS and CHEESE!!" The girls busted up laughing and she realized she was being inappropriate in a crowd and shut up and ate the potato I brought her. It's hard NOT to noticed that Missy's breath has improved 100% since we started the diet. Previously I had thought it was related to her cleft palate.

2 comments:

GB's Mom said...

Happy the diet is working for Missy- I sympathize withe her though-I would really miss cheese :)

La Tea Dah said...

Bless you, Angela. This time this verse is for YOU!

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11