Monday, November 8, 2010

Gonna Play the Game Today

If that's what she wants.

Had to go for yet another hike in the dark. She plain refused to go to bed. She played every manipulative game in the book -- this after sitting on my lap and cuddling and telling me how much she loves me.

"Sweety, in 5 minutes it will be time to go to bed."

No response.

"Okay Missy, your 5 minutes are up. It's time for bed."

"No, I want to do this..."

"Sorry kiddo, it is bedtime. You need to obey mommy."

"Oh, I'll put the nail clippers away first." And shortly thereafter I hear her on the piano.

"Missy, I said it is time for bed. You are not obeying. Go now and I'll be right there."

"No, I'm going to do this puzzle now." Plopping herself on the floor by the half finished puzzle directly at my feet.

"Oh, sure, but we are going for a hike first."

And all hell breaks loose, complete with throwing herself on the floor, wagging her fingers in my face and screaming bloody murder.


As we hike she says, "Tonight I'm sleeping in the garage."

"Honey, that's a rather silly idea. In fact I think it's a really stupid idea. You can't sleep in the garage. Are you looking for everyone to feel sorry for you? I think most people are going to think you are dumb. "

"I'm sleeping in the garage."


There was no break through. I cried.
She silently climbed the hill. The stoic little hero.

She walked into the garage and I asked, "So where did you think you were going to sleep?"

"Right here" and she plopped herself on the floor face down, "and here, take my coat and shoes". (I refused).

Devastated and unsure how to proceed in this battle I went into the house to find Steve.  He and I discussed what to do for a bit and he went out to the garage to find that she had curled up on the cat's couch and was asleep.

Waking her up he talked to her and she cried. (breakthrough)

Then I held her on my lap and she apologized and we put her to bed. (10 pm, this whole process took 2 hours).

I'm discouraged.  I'm dealing with a lunatic. A control-hungry freak. I have no idea where to go from here. But if she refuses to make her bed this morning, I'll go along. She can take the sheets off  instead. If she refuses to get dressed I'll go along - she won't be allowed to get dressed at all. She can stand beside me all day. I'm not hiking. It must be too much fun because it's not working.

I'm not reaching her heart. 

4 comments:

momof4boys said...

I hope things get better. It is looking more and more like RAD to me and I'm so sorry for you. It's a tough row to hoe but you are very strong and I'm praying for you! Keep up the good work and the courage.
Love from Julie

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Angie, we're thinking of you and praying for you. We love you xx Antionette

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Ange. The Lord is not dead. Keep praying, put one foot ahead of the other. Go forward. God will reward your perseverance. The momo4boys may be right, but then again, maybe not. This is your chance to make a difference. I'm betting that with the Lord's help, you will win. Dad

La Tea Dah said...

I'm pretty sure you are making a huge difference, even though it doesn't feel like it to you right now. Hang in there!

PS: The view from the mountain top is so beautiful! Maybe it really is too much fun. I don't know --- but it's worth considering.