Thursday, December 1, 2011

More Testing - Updated

Missy is being tested again today and tomorrow and more next week. They are leaving no stone unturned.... they are re-evaluating everything. Today she is being tested in speech and occupational therapy.  I suppose they are trying to establish a baseline? I told had told them there is the possibility of some learning differences like dyslexia, but I don't know if they are trying to determine that detailed yet. When I did some activities with her yesterday she surprised me with an ability to do things she could not do just a few weeks ago. She was willing and so we were able to work together for 45 minutes before she started putting up walls.

** Talked to the gal in charge of all the testing. They are classifying her as having an intellectual disability. She has skills, but her processing is super slow and everything is timed so that dragged all her scores down really low - like extremely low. These first tests did not include manipulative or anything she could touch and hold. It was all paper and pencil. This is hard for her. I have not done much with her this way. We use THINGS to learn with.

It's looking like she will be in school after Christmas unless her teacher decides it would be beneficial to have her start a week before break to just get her used to the idea.

Both kiddos struggled big time yesterday afternoon. Steve had them outside with him doing some little chores while he worked about the place and that wasn't their idea of fun. They both ended the day early. I figure if they want to scream they are letting me know they are too tired to cope. Supper and bed were a blessed relief.

James is no longer a candidate for choir, unfortunately. He is not showing himself mature enough. I have work enough with the 35 kids that I need to teach without the distraction of my own child who needs my constant care and can't keep his pants dry ..... So, it's their afternoon at home with dad.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I had Jackson's IEP determination meeting today. I will post about it later tonight. But, wow the amount of testing they did was amazing. They did 8 different tests and several had two and three parts. It took us 45 minutes to just go over the results of all the testing. Hope you get some answers and I personally think that starting Missy a week before Christmas to get her into the routine and idea of how things work would be a good plan. You know her, though and will, of course make the best choices for her. :)

schnitzelbank said...

I'm not sure starting the week before Christmas is such a great plan. Schools usually wind down/amp up and have all sorts of celebrations and special events before the holidays. The kids are all squirrely and anxious for the break. It might not be an accurate picture of what school is, and all the hub-bub might disregulate her quite a bit.

Molly said...

Just wanted to say, you are absolutely right to be teaching her using manipulatives!!! Rock on mama!