Thursday, December 15, 2011

Team Effort { Hard Words and Grasping the Situation)

It's been a tough two weeks for me. So much going on, but over all the hubbub that comes with this time of year is the task of wrapping of my brain around what is going on with Missy. She has been tested and evaluated in every way from large motor skills, play, fine motor, speech, academic, cognitive, reading.... and everything is coming up SHORT.

Today was the team meeting at the school. It's overwhelming. The child requires a team effort. Her needs are far greater than one person could possibly even begin to fathom. Things that children normally learn just by living she hasn't comprehended or picked up. She's missing the normal developmental things you would see in a 4 year old.

For an example of her work at the meeting, one teacher (PT) had this long strip of the alphabet that Missy had written out. . . while the special ed teacher had asked Missy to write the alphabet and had gotten about 4 letters and some undecipherable scribbles. The PT gal explained that under the right circumstances the kiddo can produce the letters, but she is missing some very basic kindergarten level skills that make the letters of any use to her. She only produces them because we have worked so hard with her on it. Kind of like learning multiplication facts by rote, but not having an true understanding of the concept. She knows them by sight. She can even tell you some of the sounds, but to produce them on paper without an example?....no. 

She's very pleasant at the school and the teachers told me that while they know it's true that I have some plenty big challenges with her behaviorally at home, they have a hard time fathoming it when working with her because she is so very sweet all of the time there, but they said they understand how this can be.

I've been researching what I need to be doing and I've come up with a few simple things so far.

I went and bought nice, square plastic containers. One for every day of the week and I filled them with activities for her to do. Monday's box might hold a board puzzles, a bouncy ball, a bean bag, sequencing cards, a memory game, some beads to string, scissors and paper, etc... Each box has a different assortment of skill building items. A lot of them are for her to do on her own without help. She has a tendency to wander aimlessly, jabbering for the sake of jabbering, so,  I will require her to do each thing in that day's box as part of her daily routine. If I'm peeling potatoes then I will have her take her bouncy ball and play with it bouncing and catching off the floor with one hand then the other in the kitchen where I am. There are a few things in each box that she needs me to do with her like the memory game which will be good for the one-on-one bonding building.



I have to admit that though I knew 
this child was pretty profoundly developmentally delayed when she came, 
and though I KNEW that she was still pretty delayed,
even though she has made tremendous strides in the last 20 months, 
it was a dash of cold water in my face when the words 
mental retardation
were used to categorize Missy a week ago.
(feels like a month ago).
  
I know it's true 
in the most precise sense, 
but somehow it blares  LIFETIME LIMITATIONS in those harsh, cold words.


The term was quickly exchanged for intellectual disability... 
but too late, 
my jaw had already hit the floor.

No one has used those words before,

no doctor, 
no social worker,
no teacher,
no nurse,
no one.

I've always been assured that with time, effort and the right environment 
she would eventually catch up.
The doctor, the head of the cranial facial team,
who has known her all her life
told us he believed her delays were all on account of her environment,
that now she finally had a chance to be who she was intended to be.

To be told, 
"Well, she has a good memory, 
so if she never learns to read then we're good because we can read to her...."
 . . .  A punch in the gut.

The gal was going off the cold hard facts on the stack of tests in front of her.
She doesn't know the little girl,
so,  I'm okay with her.
She has no idea she's the first to say these things.

It was just all very difficult for this mommy's heart to hear.
VERY HARD.

AND I now realize I have to change my thinking.
No,
not stop believing that she can overcome her mountains,
but change my belief that time and environment and love would heal all
and that she would absorb
skills and information naturally as she grows 
just because we have created a rich environment for her.
It isn't going to happen that way.

I have to work very hard to help her
and I need a lot of assistance... a team effort.

11 comments:

GB's Mom said...

These are very hard things to hear. I hurt with you.

~marci~ said...

This triggers deep thoughts and prayers for you all.

Mission Pilot said...

Dear Angie, The Lord Jesus is walking through this with you and He is in control. This was never His plan for Missy but He is not now restrained from working for her in a different way due to the choices that were made by those that brought her into the world. I pray that the hurt and shock you are experiencing will be eased as you once again take note and realize that all things work together for good - however impossible and sad that might seem right now; as you see His hand still moving, still guiding, still healing. The greatest miracle for this little girl is that a Loving Savior never lost sight of her and provided her with a loving, genuinely Christian home so that she might learn of a Heavenly Father who has not let go of her in the midst of the neglect and hurt she experienced. The next miracle is that the Lord placed her with a new mother with a fighter spirit that would never give up and helped her to learn to fly in spite of the damage, in spite of whatever. Go with your instinct, go with what the Spirit puts in your heart - help this child to become a sweet, highly practical worker for Christ and she can accomplish a lot of good for her Savior yet! Acceptance with Joy, remember? Only because He is still in charge and because His thoughts, His plans are so much higher, and therefore so much better, than ours. His promises are sure and they are for you and Missy. Love you lots, Antionette

Oldqueen44 said...

Praise God you have a place to start from. You know now, and your goals can be set appropriately for the best results. With her families help she will reach her full God given potential. She is beautifully and wonderfully made.

Diane said...

Missy has already made huge progress from where she started with you! Don't let that be downplayed. Having followed your blog, your efforts go above and beyond most. In a public school setting, I don't believe the professionals ever set or allow parents to believe in high expectations. It is a team effort, and you can likely benefit greatly from their expertise. But remember no one now knows Missy as well as you do. No one else is going to work as hard as you do toward helping her meet her potential. Please don't let anyone else focus on what she can't do; keep them focused on what the next step is and how to get there. You can keep the bar high; it might just take longer to get there! God bless your entire family!

Kelly said...

So hard. My heart hurts with you. But, just like you said in a previous post, Missy has wonderful "helpful skills" that you can build on. God is going to use her whether she knows all the big words or hard math facts or not. The most important thing is, always has been, and always will be her relationship with Christ.

Jackson is not as delayed but any delay that alters them for life is so hard to swallow. I still dream for Jackson, the dreams are just different. Once the shock wears off, your mind will start going wild with where her potential lies.

You are amazing. Have done an amazing job thus far and will continue to. So glad you are getting some help and have such great ideas.

Sean and Lisa said...

Reading this triggers those emotions and feelings that aren't far beneath the surface of my heart after hearing the psychiatrist's report on my son. I knew things were wrong but I had NO IDEA just how wrong they were! Now I find myself trying to balance that "truth" with how to continue to motivate and grow him into all God created him to be but yet not expecting more than he can give. It's a precarious adventure for me. LOL!
Big hugs and many prayers!
Lisa

Laurel said...

So hard.

So sad.

So sorry.


Laurel :)

bka said...

oh, my. so sorry. praying for strength and wisdom.

~Melissa said...

Oh Angela... I'm so sorry... I just mentioned my brother in a past comment... and to think this is your very next post...

But... I do believe in a great God, who knows why Missy needed a home such as yours... God has plans for her and James and your family...

I'm sure your heart aches... shed those tears! Let it out... the disappointment, the pain... perhaps the anger... but then gather your wits (as you always do...;p) and take on this challenge...

Btw, I loved the post about Missy as the angel. I suspect you will have more and more of these days where she will endear you more and more...

(Hugs and much love sent your way).
Warmly,
~Melissa

ps, Paige is nearly 7 and still cannot decifer her alphabet... many things can still be relative to the standards and expectations... (she cannot write the alphabet if I asked her either...) And I've worked pretty hard on it with her as well. I believe our issues are food allergies... and one area we really struggle to agree on.

That Mom Kelly said...

We heard it last year from Bradleys pre K teacher. I cried for 3 days. I worked with him all summer, and his kindy teacher this year is great. All we can do as Moms is keep working, and keep fighting for them. And most importantly pray. Miracles happen everyday :)