Monday, December 5, 2011

Found

I found the scores of Missy's cognitive skills evaluation from November 2009. She arrived in our home March of 2010. She is being tested now - two years since the last evaluation. I AM very curious how these tests will compare. I have a meeting on Thursday. I have no idea if the school is testing her using the Stanford-Binet, but I hope so, because then we'll know we can compare the scores accurately.

****

Missy is loving going to the school and having someone spend one-on-one time with her.

Came home to find that Christina is babysitting over at the neighbors. Missy insisted that she was going over there, too. I reminded her that she had some things to do for me before I decided if they could come play here with her where I could see her.  The Control games started within 15 minutes. She is now screaming her rage. I put her in her room, smiled and said, "You are not going to play with the neighbors today. I'm sorry you chose to lose your self-control." I'm not sure how to put a stop to the door slamming.  She won't stay in her bed and her screaming is so loud.

The Lord is helping me. I think that I am finally getting a handle on how I am suppose to respond to the drama created to elicit a reaction. I have always known that I needed to show no negative emotion, but hey, when you are shocked, frustrated by the fear of not knowing what the solution is, or the fear of the outcome, or once again you've been duped like an idiot by a miniature person  . . . impossible to not show something. Well, sad to say, I am no longer shocked by much. I have built up enough tools in my "doctor kit" to deal with most of the nonsense that cycles through our week, and just in the last month I have found some concrete ways to handle certain trials. There is also this huge sense of relief in knowing Missy is going to go to school for three hours a day. I will get a break and therefore I will not go crazy. Just knowing I have help  - is amazing.

So, now in the face of the behaviors I don't have the emotion. It's their issue and, while I am sorry they have to live life the hard way, I have a plan and it's my job to implement it. That's why I can smile at her  when she screams till I think my ears will blow out.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

It will be interesting to compare these scores. Cool you can do that.

I too am not surprised by the crazy. Still aggravated and at times discouraged but not surprised. I laugh about things I would never have thought were funny 3, 2 or even 1 year ago. It's laugh or cry. I choose laugh. :)

I sent you an email.

Mama said...

We dealt with the door slamming too and just last week my husband took both the room door and the closet door off. We decided that having a door was a privilige and if she was going to slam it or kick on it while in time-out then she no longer gets to have one. Just a thought.
Natalie
PS. I've been a blog stalker of yours for quite awhile. I just don't comment anywhere often.

Laurel said...

Door Slamming ... definitely time to lose the door next time it is slammed. That happens every few months at our house.

:) :) :)