Monday, March 22, 2010

To the Top of the Mountain

Photobucket
Little boy is tired. His system is getting used to not being medicated so he's out of sorts and crabby. His left eye is visible evidence of his struggle. It's turning in making him look half cross-eyed. We've spent several hours climbing to the tippy top of our mountain this morning. It's so warm and sunny and the flowers are popping up everywhere. The strenuous physical exercise is good for the both of them and there is less to fuss about up there. If you don't walk you get left behind. If you race ahead you find yourself needing help and so, whine or not, he did very well and whether he admits it or not, he enjoyed it. He looks just like my nephew when he wears my Australian Outback Leather hat. He loves that hat... Steve went with us and that made it easier for me. He took one kid and I took the other. Lucky me - I took Little Missy. She's a trooper and quite a hiker.
Photobucket
Ummm... this would be the moment where he decided he couldn't walk and let himself slide off the path.

Okay... so I'm assuming Little Boy is crabby because of getting off the medication, I don't really know. I wonder, too, if he's trying to sort out the reality that he's here to stay. For the first time yesterday, while having a tantrum he said he wanted his mom and he didn't mean me. Later, our not so considerate teenage neighbor, had his horrible music turned up really loud in his truck while he worked on his tractor (You know it had to be really loud!!! My fear is that he is moving back into that house.) and Little Boy said, "My mom has that music". It was the first day he had even spoken of her. He refuses to talk to "grandma" (foster mom) on the phone while sister gabs away in gibberish. . . .Or is he just testing our love? . . . Or is he really just a crabby kid? If he's a miserable kid we've got our work cut out. Only time will tell. Lord Help Us.
Photobucket

3 comments:

GB's Mom said...

Hang in there. It sounds like it was a good day.

Kelly said...

I will not give advice for or against medication but I will say that Nate was ALWAYS crabby, complaining, pestering, raging or just generally unhappy until we started F o c a l i n with him. He (and the rest of the family) can live with him so much easier now. He is still hard to deal with in the morning and evening but the break during the day for us and his teachers is good. He is not a zombie at all (that comes from over medication) and is fun and can interact with others appropriately. It has been really good for us and I am so thankful we tried it with him. There are a lot of medications out there. I am not saying your little man needs any meds at all. And yes it will probably take a little time for him to regulate as there have been so many changes in his little life in such a short time. But, from what I understand these meds leave the body very quickly.

The decision to give Nate meds was very hard for me and like I said before, please don't think I am trying to sell you on the idea of meds. Just wanted to share a little about my personal experience.

The idea of physical exercise is great and exercising his brain with simple things like wooden blocks, simple puzzles, crayon and paper or a chalk board is good too. Using different textures is important too. (Like play dough, sand, rice, water, jello, and shaving cream) You are doing a great job. Keep it up momma!!!

~marci~ said...

Looks like a good hike with an awesome view. Keep at it. Raising boys is different than girls, and so is the bond that develops. I am praying for you. Take courage!