Friday, March 5, 2010

Diaper Rash

I have been faithfully changing diapers like clockwork. There has been a little poop in each one - morning and night, until Thursday afternoon. Then they both had a big diaper. Believe it or not I was happy about that. I've taken them off dairy and upped the fiber as much as possible and it took that long to get a proper diaper load. Since then Little Guy has had wet diapers except for one poop today. I think it's progress. I'd rather take care of it once a day then 10 times a day. The Little Girl on the other hand, has continued to have soiled diapers and has trouble even to the point of not being able to control the drizzle in the tub. She has to have a bath morning and evening and even then her little behind is sore. I"m researching encopresis. Apparently, they have been checked for that a year ago, but SW and I are not convinced that they aren't suffering constipation and a stretched bowl to the point the nerves are damaged and they can't even feel the urge anymore. Their little tummies are very round and firm. It could take a year to heal that enough to potty train. I seriously think she's impacted.

A huge load of diapers were delivered to our door free of charge. Half of them are not diapers. What am I suppose to do with adult incontinence pads? There must be some mix up.

We are conquering the vegetables - soup, potpie, savory dishes are being eaten fine. Trying to feed him fruit is a disaster! Yes, the family with the orchard full of every type of fruit, the family that cans tons of fruit to save money during the year, the family that lives in orchard country and can glean all the fruit ever desired... THAT family has a kid who won't eat fruit! He asked for an apple today. I gave it to him. He merely poked holes in the skin with his big tooth. Little Girl ate hers to the core!

I'm working on getting their medical files transferred to the a pediatrician here. I'm really wanting to get them in as quick as possible. I'm concerned about some other things as well. The clef palate, for one, is leaking.

2 comments:

Adeye said...

Wow, my friend, you sure are having a BUSY time...but sooooooo blessed :)

I LOVE following along!

stellarparenting.com said...

ohh poop, can I tell you all about poop! First off the medical prof. as a whole tends to know very little about the impact of trauma on small person and do not realise that most of them are poop holders because it is one of the only things they can control. My son almost had surgery because of the damage caused by holding it all the time. The SW is right, they probably can not feel it, they don't know it is coming. You are on the right track but you may need to do a whole lot more than you ever thought when it comes to getting them going.
If it were me and I mean that, you need to do what it right for you and your family but if it were me I would
- get them toilet trained as soon as possible, diapers allow them to be lazy about it and are encouraging them to continue to not care.
- know that there are going to be a lot of poop accidents for a long time and be okay with that.
- have them clean themselves up to the best of their abiltiy, you will know what they can do on there own.
- make the responsibility theirs without shaming them at all, it is their body, their job.
-BE PATIENT.
Calvin has been with us for 18 months, is 9.75 and still does not always make it. He is on daily laxatives which are finally starting to help and he is starting to regain control and to have sensation back but it has taken a long time and I made a lot of mistakes along the way.