Monday, March 15, 2010

The Three P's

I had to have some fun today so I called up my friend who was packing suitcases for her family's flight to Ethiopia to pick up their new family additions - (a boy and a girl, like us, only younger) and asked her if she was really sure she wanted to go through with this. I proceeded to expound on the three P's in all their gory details. The three P's are, of course, Pee, Poop and Puke. She's a good sport and laughed with me. . . but she is surely going to have her share, but I assume not to the same degree as me.

It's a funny thing. . . I'm collecting followers all of a sudden. Who'd a thought that a daily dose of the three P's would be attractive? I, honest to goodness have more of my share of the yucks than anyone I know at the moment. This evening the kids wanted to hold their little pets so I suggested they bring them up to the kitchen and sit on the floor in a circle so that the kiddos could be supervised with them and wouldn't you know it!! One by one those critters pooped on shirts, pants, socks, floor, and dresses. They would barely be cleaned up when the rounds would start again. Duck poop stink ranks right up there with Little Missy's pants. Oh, and did I mention I caught little Guy blowing his nose on my pretty wool throw that I bought in Tanzania? What's another word for snot that starts with a P?

Actually, we had a really good day despite the fact that I changed a poopy pair of underwear every hour all afternoon and evening. Missy had a fantastic attitude all day. She was sweet and funny and loving and had a great outlook on cleaning up her messes. She getting good at helping me and she has decided showers are far preferred to baths. She'd never had one before she came here, but they are quick, fun, and get the job done well and actually cleaner for her than a bath.

Little Boy managed to keep supper. I think he's okay. He is trotting off to the bathroom on his own and doesn't need help.... which is annoying to his competitive twin who announced she was going to do it all by herself, too. She started to and then faced with a full mess decided she didn't need to go that bad. Of course, I took over.

We worked on our ABC's and writing numbers and coloring in the lines. We did several puzzles and went for a good walk this morning. The girls took them up the mountain for an hour this afternoon. Brianna commented that they seem to be better coordinated already. They are still klutzy, but they have been doing a ton of hiking every day and seem to be tripping less and running more freely. They have scratches from the sage brush and bruises from all the stuff they've done to themselves. They sure like the zip line. I'm thankful the harness fits well and is safe.

We have a Pediatric appointment made for this week, a Children's Hospital visit scheduled for May, a visit with their siblings planned for later this month, the agency visit scheduled, and real hiking boots ordered. These were all goals my husband had set out for this week and they are all done. The only thing not accomplished is a schedule for the speech therapist. She never called back.

I'm just very thankful that we had a calm, happy day. We are no where near the goals, but we are on the road with a smile and that's what matters. I thank God. I'm sure someone was praying for us.

3 comments:

stellarparenting.com said...

yipee for getting to the bathroom, good luck withthe 3 P's, make sure you ask the ped about laxatives therpay to help get the kids regulated and to learn to be able to feel when they need to go.

Kelly said...

I'm tired just reading. Shew.

Mom 4 Kids said...

God bless you sweetie, hang in there! It will get better for sure!