Monday, March 15, 2010

Adding to the Nasties

I really thought I was in for a continuation of yesterday when we started off the day with puking at the breakfast table... But the morning went fine and then he up-chucked all over himself at lunch. = / He wants to eat and doesn't complain of anything. (We later learned this is totally a control issue!!) I don't quite get it since he is only coughing a bit. He is making progress in the big-boy underwear department. He is even catching on to understanding the urge to go. Found him on the pot all by himself. Hasn't figured out that one needs to fully empty the bladder before you move on, though.

Little girl woke up with her will pointed in the right direction. She wanted that butterfly lollypop and managed a dime's worth in the potty and that, she says, is ALL she's giving today. She has kept dry and has made an effort at being happy, though she's pooped in her pants. I didn't write that she had two major tantrums in the time-out chair and missed out on a lot of activities late in the day, yesterday. She woke determined that today the big girls will take her to the places they took her brother while she was having her conniptions . The day is moving on and she is getting tired and I am thinking her resolve may crumble.

I'm praying a lot!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so encouraged and proud of what you guys are doing! How the Lord must be filled with joy watching the energy and love you are putting into these two. Our twins are hoping to "play" with yours at some point tomorrow! We have our court day tomorrow and I am feeling a little anxious. I know it could happen, but there is also a chance there will be several court dates! We shall see. All in God's time! I am praying for you all!! ": )
KM

GB's Mom said...

You are in my prayers. Know that it will get easier- it takes a lot of adjusting to fit full fledged people, as opposed to newborns, into a family.

The Accidental Mommy said...

Hi- I saw you on J's blog. I have a theory about pooping issues, FWIW. I think that with children who have experienced neglect and/or trauma, the only time anyone touched them was when they were wet or poopy. Even the most crack addled junkie will get around to changing a poop diaper.
Theory #2, if you have ever heard the phrase a person was so scared they pooped/pee's their pants.... the fear center in the brain travels the same path.
Theory #3 toileting issues have become a habit that can be tough to try to break through.

So.... It is HARD, and it will pass. It might be slow but it will pass. It has little-to- nothing to do with your parenting either, honestly, you are not causing the problem. You can work on it right away or even leave it go for awhile. Easier said than done, I know!

Adeye said...

Whew, my friend, it really is not an easy road, is it? But I KNOW you would have it no other way. You are right where God needs you to be :)

Dia por Dia said...

Came over from J.'s blog. Congratulations on the twins. So sorry about the poop issues...I agree with Essie's comment. I think with mine it was also about control. There was so much change and so little they could control that I think "withholding" poop became part of their fear response. You are doing great!

Mama Drama Times Two said...

Congratulations!!!! I've enjoyed reading your blog. Transitions are hard for everyone. Celebrate the little successes and don't take the poopy issue personally. When you're a teeny person and your whole world is turned upside down there is very little you can control; except, welllll...Kids with abuse & neglect histories (pretty much any and all the kiddos in foster/adoption system)have a huge layer of shame that they carry with them. How we deal with their issues (toileting/lying or whatever) can release or remind them of their shame. Lastly, kids with sexual abuse may have been "bribed" with treats to comply or keep quiet...so treats for pooping (or any behavior) could be a big reminder of bad people and bad memories. My son (came to us at age 8) still has some poop issues at age 11...but it does get better.