Monday, March 29, 2010

Outside

I spent the entire afternoon outside with the twins. I mowed and mulched my garden and they worked along side or played. I didn't have the energy to fight the potty issue. Little guy hid and pooped and I let him know that I knew what he did but since he refused to go the bathroom with me I told him he could wear it, so he did and it didn't bother him a lick. He doesn't have the same physical issues that Missy has, at least, not to the same extent. He mostly just doesn't want to! It's discouraging. We had such a nice afternoon - even if he stunk. They are so good and happy when I don't make them go potty. If they were only potty trained!!!!! I honestly don't know what to do. I just cringe when well-meaning people say, "You mean you haven't trained them yet?"

Oh, we did have a couple of tantrums Sabbath afternoon. Nothing unusual, his was pretty short lived and hers was 2 hours. I told her to change her clothes and underwear and she told me to change her. It was the battle of the bullheads and I came out the bigger bull. Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) she missed out on the afternoon hike because everyone left before she gave in. Poor child. She and I went for our own walk but it wasn't quite the same.

The church where the girls and I work had a nice little party for the twins. They were given soft teddy bears that they just LOVE. They carried them around all day and slept with them last night. We were also blessed with a money tree.

Missy pulled the pedal harp down on herself. It's the first time in all the years we've had a harp that anyone has managed to knock it down. Lucky for her the table caught it. The kid is fine, the harp is fine and the table has a big ding in it.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I had to laugh when I read "in all the years we have had it no one has ever...". This is the story of my life. LOL Never a dull moment.

The comments people say are so hurtful sometimes but they don't understand. They haven't read about or taken classes pertaining to parenting hurt children. They haven't been around them for any length of time. They don't understand how truly different they are. I would say try not to let it bother you but I struggle with this so I will just say try to forgive them.

Hope today is great!!!

stellarparenting.com said...

hang in there, that's all you can do.

GB's Mom said...

Just remember these people don't know. You can educate them or you can let the comments slide right past you. Hang in there, this too will pass...

Sharon in Alabama said...

They will not go off to college un-potty trained. I know that might be small comfort - but what I'm trying to say is it WILL happen. Our littlest one was very stubborn in this area - for that matter the oldest adopted one was pretty stubborn too. Both of them were deeply impacted by having to wash out their own messes and then, since we were still using diapers, I promised to use the first bit of $$ I saved not buying diapers to buy them a treat - I am NOT above bribery - it can also be called incentive - or natural consequences. "when I don't have to spend money on diapers, I'll be able to buy that toy for you." It backfired a bit with Ricky, because he wanted a Buzz Lightyear. We went and picked it up, and right next to it was the Woody doll. About three weeks later he started peeing the bed again. I sat him down and simply asked him what was going on. And he said "I need the Woody doll" - AS IF!!! I assured him it was a one-time deal, and that while he could do jobs to earn the Woody doll, there was going to be NO more buying of treats for a boy who was PURPOSEFULLY peeing his bed so that he could stop again - it was heartening to me, though, because, due to his FAS, we were not sure how bright he was, and this was one of the first indications that, under all that laziness there really is a very bright boy.

Glad you are willing to be stubborn back - so many people think it would be better to just cave in to them. One time of caving will cause weeks, if not MONTHS of back paddling. Be strong!!

And letting the comments go is the best plan, as GB's MOM said - you can educate them, but likely they are too opinionated already to even begin to listen to you, so just let it go. Some people just simply have no clue.