Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Sugar Free Saga



We nearly made it 10 days on the sugar free/ fruit free/ candida diet with Missy.

After about the second day her whole demeanor changed. I hadn't expected it. I wasn't looking for that and I didn't know what to attribute the change to really. I mean, she has had her ups and downs and sometimes she can be sweet, but it had been a long, long time since we had seen that really happy even keel side of her. I wondered if it was the new diet, or if she was thinking she better straighten up or WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE MOM WILL TAKE AWAY FROM ME, or had she just decided she was tired of being miserable. If it was the diet, what part of it exactly was it? We don't use a lot of sugar, but there is some in my canned fruit, and homemade jam, there is natural sugar in fruit, and carrot juice, etc...  If it really was the diet was it the sugar itself or certain foods or the candida?

It wasn't easy to feed her this way and slowly I added the fruit back in and by Thursday she was eating as usual. By Friday we were back to bowel problems (which could be for any number of reasons, but I have to note it). By Sabbath morning she was lying about everything, disobedient, whiny, screaming when her will was crossed, a total Miss misery all over again! ALSO very noted was the incredible halitosis. (We have noticed this goes with her moods.)

Is there any correlation? I am more than 100% sure the kid has an unhealthy over abundance of candida albicans due to years of anti-biotics. She has many of the signs and symptoms, but what I didn't know before I did a little searching was that this can make a person have ugly mood swings.

Hmmm!

Two years of doing my best to give her the very best diet and she still has problems with her gut that are beyond her control. (We also deal with bowel issues that are within her control, but that might just disappear when we get the other figured out.)

I'm doing everything I can think of, and she wishes I wouldn't think of them.... lol. daily green drinks with fresh blended greens straight from the garden, fresh squeezed lemon juice in her water first thing in the morning to restore the acid/alkaline balance, no dairy, no gluten, vegetarian, limited sweets, increased water intake, etc...  

I guess we are going to try that sugarless/yeast free thing again. I'll be noting the changes very carefully. I have to do a little more research to figure out what I am doing. I might join her. Can't hurt, can it? I do love fruit, though...  ;-(   ONLY we can't start today. Grace is having a birthday party and they went all out to make gluten free cupcakes with frosting on them just for the twins!! How sweet is that?


7 comments:

Mama in Uganda said...

One our of littles had horrible bad breath. She is not allowed sugar due to food issues, however, we have found that papaya fruit and a spoonful of their seeds every day have done wonders for the halitosis.

Blessings and wisdom,
Summer

Matt and Maria said...

Have you tried a probiotic supplement? All of my kids have had a terrible round of thrush at some point in their life, and this is the only thing that worked. The powdered, refrigerated kind...

I find the change you saw with your daughter very interesting. I wonder if I'm brave enough to try sugar-free?

Maria

Anonymous said...

Have you considered some naturally fermented foods? Something like kefir, or a lactofermented drink? They are really really great for gut healing.

Sophie said...

I know NOTHING about all this but I will be interested to read and learn about it from you.

acceptance with joy said...

We have used probiotica. The one we are using now is called cytoflora. But I have used acidophilus, etc. I am also doing a liver cleanse called liver life.

Loosey said...

I have found that saccharomyces boulardii, the Yarrow cheap ones are the generic for the expensive Florestor ones...are great for gut issues resulting from antibiotics and resistant to lactobacillus and bifidus probiotics. It is a beneficial yeast and supposedly drives off the candida by crowding it out. My GI doc thinks that probiotics are a lot of the answer to gut issues, he helped me more with these than will everything else he thought of!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever heard of PANDAS? I don't know if her issue could be related to that or not but it came to mind as I was reading.