Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Biology of Behavior

****

Before I get into the biology of behavior, an update on the baby.

It will be Friday or Monday before the baby is released from the NICU.

I had made up my mind that the judge was going to rule in favor of the mom and she would get to keep the baby in the center with her, but that was not to be. Seems like if I would have been the judge... well, I don't know the whole story, I guess.

I'm almost ready for the challenge.

I have ONE more choir program to go before we let out for the season. We'll be doing the Great Controversy program at Valley View this weekend.

We have one more English as a Second Language school night to go, also. Not sure how I will make that actually. It's also the night Christina has a recital and I really should be there. Christina does really well at flute recitals. She usually struggles with piano recitals and she has had TWO of those recently.

 Christina's math class is winding up. She has one more.

I'm pleased with my new weed-whacking man. Even his weed-whacker is better than ours.



*****

I have been listening to a CD set on the Physical Causes of behavior and attention problems in children. Interesting because it is validating my concerns about the imbalance in the natural flora of the colon causing mishap in the brain. Some of the things brought up are:

sleep problems (check)
Dry skin (in patches check)
Stomach-aches (check)
canker sores (check, check)
sugar cravings ( don't know what they crave, but don't all kids like sugar?)
rashes, athletes foot, (check)
allergies (check, check)
leg pains
Enuresis (maybe?)
constipation (CHECK, CHECK and then the opposite also)
Much antibiotic use (CHECK, CHECK - before we got them!)

They aren't taking all the sugar away necessarily, but they are doing a probiotic 3 times a day for three months. That sure sounds easier. Even a child who has only been on antibiotics twice in their life can have an over growth of yeast.  Missy lived on anti-biotics the first 4 years of her life. This could well be the main cause of her intolerance for dairy. It could contribute to the gluten intolerance, also.

I don't expect that at healing her body she will become a perfect angel. She has definite issues with attachment, but I do expect to see some improvement in her irritability. It has become habit to be resistant, though. She knows no other way. There has to be some retraining of the thinking and of course surrender to Christ to become whole. So, in other words, it's going to take some serious parenting still.

There is a whole program that involves acidophilus the first week, and anti-fungal agents (grapefruitseed extract) the next, reducing sugars and carbs and increasing proteins the third week, and replacing minerals on the 4th week. The Magnesium we have been doing. When we run out of CALM I notice a huge difference in Missy. She needs the magnesium. By the 5th week we work with the B vitamins. The 6th week increasing the Essential Fatty acids - which we have been doing, Omega 3, etc... in the flax. Week 7 you add lecithin, which is amazing because I started it last week before I heard this. Week 8 the add pycnogenol to help with focusing. I have yet to understand what this is.

Basically I have had bits and pieces of the information, but this will help to put the puzzle together.

I mentioned that the therapist we saw once mentioned that James could be ADD and needs help with stimulating the brain so he can transition easier. This cd set is suppose to go into that as well... using natural things. So looking forward to learning more!


3 comments:

Oldqueen44 said...

Very interesting. I love nutrition stuff. It will be interesting to see how it all works.

Jennifer P said...

I'm glad you are going to blog about this. I have the bottles in my fridge. Just haven't bit the bullet and started!

Anonymous said...

I just attended Dianne Craft's workshops at a homeschool convention. I will also be trying this on my kids and hoping we see a difference. Very interested in hearing how it works for your children.
Blessings!