Monday, February 21, 2011

On the Edge of Emotional

Bummer!

The house isn't cleaning itself.

Having two extra little ones to babysit isn't helping much, either.

Only a few more hours and Bri will be home !!!!

Can anyone give me a dose of motivation??

I'm proud of Buster. He's quite emotional today. Tears are on the edge of his eyelids at all times, but he isn't falling apart and he did his school pages well. He also hurt both hands on the zip line. He didn't want to wear the harness and so he grabbed the tail end of the rope and let it drag him down the bank and it took a bit of skin off of every finger. He came and bravely ask for a band aid. I see he must have been grabbing at grasses, too because there are a lot of slivers, but I wasn't about to push my luck  so we'll deal with them when he's more emotionally solid. There are so many things this kiddo hasn't learned by experience yet about playing outdoors. Last summer he was too cautious and lazy to try anything. Hopefully he doesn't have to learn too many lessons all at once this summer.

Besides the tears threatening to spill, I can tell when Buster is struggling because his sensory integration stuff starts waving big red flags. He's walking on his tip-toes, holding his toothbrush like it's gonna burn him, eating funny and looking like he doesn't quite fit in his skin or he's stiff or something. Anybody know why this stuff seems to flair up like this? What do you do about it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am 40 yrs old and I still have days like that. Usually it is an emotional trigger that I may or may not recognize it. He connected with you yesterday and maybe that has him off kilter. It might be because your daughter will be home. Granted, I don't have the same issues he does. I have bipolar disorder and ptsd, so I am not sure. I just know that I have those days. I hate it. I hate how I feel when it's like that. Obviously I have learned to maintain my behavior but inside I feel as if all of my nerve endings are exposed.

C Dawn's bucket said...

I have a little boy with SPD and sometimes when he has days like that we can try everything in the book and nothing helps. Other days we can do body brushing, or a warm bath, or deep pressure massage and get his system rebooted. At the very least we make his world much smaller on those days.

Some other things that help him are his weighted blanket and he has a microfiber fleece blanket that soothes him.