Sunday, October 17, 2010

Whirlwind Days and Outreach

The dental appointment went well. Missy had holes in her silver caps fixed and a few sealants done. They were suppose to do a full scan but the machine quit working and so, we have to go back... ick! I begged for them to let us transfer Missy's dental care to our town, but they want to do the scan themselves. It is important to know exactly when to do the bone graft so I guess we'll follow orders.

Arriving home late Friday afternoon certainly is not ideal for preparing for the Sabbath. Vanessa arrived home a few hours before us and was working hard when we arrived. I paid a visit to the gardens for leeks and herbs and set to about to make food for our company coming for Sabbath lunch.

We had invited all the people Steve has been studying with and the Spanish church elder and his wife, Carolina, and little daughter that have come along side to help us with the work of reaching the Spanish speaking people of our community. I was a wreck!! I didn't dare make Mexican food... My vague knowledge of that kind of food comes from Taco Bell. Ha! I remember when I was 20 being introduced to Taco Bell by my college friends from Weimar (of all places) and them making fun of the fact that I didn't know what to order and I had to tell them I didn't know what a burrito was. Hey, French Canadians were never very familiar with Mexican cuisine... never mind a French Canadian who grew up vegetarian.

Carolina called to find out what I was planning to serve and she graciously offered to match my menu with a Mexican version. Thank you very much!!!  So, that's the first time chicken has been served in my kitchen. Can't say I was even remotely interested in tasting it....  Don't get me wrong, I've grown to like Mexican food it was the flesh and bones part of it... :-)

Here's the kicker... I raced home from church and had everything perfect - Carolina and Basilio arrived bringing other people.... but our guests took ALL day to come... LITERALLY!  They were suppose to come for lunch and arrived at 6 pm. We ate our lunch without the special guests and then 25 people from the Spanish church arrived to work with our church doing outreach (ummm, yeah, make that Steve, Vanessa, Brianna and Christina. I stayed home to watch the twins and Karissa and to be prepared when our guests would arrived). It was successful. Exciting things are happening and we are grateful for the spirit of the Spanish  folk and their commitment to prayer and outreach. When our church remodel is complete they will be providing Spanish services in our lovely extra space.

Our guest did eventually come as I said, and there was more than enough food and plenty of music from our resident musicians.  We are enjoying making new friends and stepping out of our "comfortable" cultural zone.

Missy LOVED having the little girls over. She has the gift of friendship. She went out of her way to make her little guests happy. I was thrilled to see her interacting and showing selflessness. The little girls were both 4 years old - and right at her level. Buster, on the other hand, lacks social skills. He tries very hard!!! He just doesn't know how and what he wants gets in the way of looking out for what others would like.

I've been watching all the sermons posted on vimeo on the Annual Council and I am blessed. We need the Holy Spirit in our lives  and NOW is the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Being "on time" is generally not a high priority among Hispanic people. It's just part of the vulture and it's not meant to be insulting.