Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Steal of a Deal

We go through tons of flax seed here. I use anywhere from a quarter to a whole cup of flax a day in the twin's shake, in cooking and sprinkled on the twin's food.  It's full of Omega 3 and it keeps their bowels moving.

I was paying $2.99 for a pound of flax meal at the health food store, but the already ground stuff evaporates some of the oils where the Omega 3 is found, and it has to be kept in the freezer to keep from going rancid, however for convenience sake....

Well, no more convenience. I went to the feed store and bought a 50lb sack of whole flax.  It worked out to 47 cents a pound. Then I went and bought a coffee grinder for $12.99. We are grinding our own now and we shouldn't run out for a long while :-)

Do you know that I am saving $2.52 cents on a pound?

If I would have bought that many seeds at the health food store I would have paid about a hundred and fifty dollars!

* * * * * * *

Well, I might "think" Missy's not progressing, but according the speech therapist she knew all her shapes today. She asked if we had been working on them. "Ahhh.... well, uh... maybe once or twice..."

(Would someone please tell me how in the world am I suppose to do everything, eh???!)

Therapist says, " I asked her three different times and she got them all right each time and so I crossed that off our list". 

Well now, isn't that nice. I guess I failed to see just how important that skill was, but hey, she's got it.

She's suddenly taken to coloring!!!!!

That is something I can get excited about.

She will actually go and sit at the desk in her own room and color in her coloring book for up to an hour. It's even great when she's struggling to be happy, because she enjoys coloring and I can use this activity as a diversional tactic.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Thanks for sharing. Our mill won't grind flax seed, so I haven't been using it because I knew the premilled kind lost a lot of benefits. So, you just use a simple coffee grinder? I am going to check into that.

Kelly said...

Cross that off your list too, Missy-shapes-check!!!

Glad you are seeing progress, but of course you are.

Just so you know and so you can mark this off your list too...."How in the world am I suppose to do everything?" - check - YOU ARE ALREADY DOING EVERYTHING!!!! and doing a fabulous job at it too, I must add.

You really are such a neat person and an inspiration to me to teach my children about God and to constantly live for Christ in everything I do. I appreciate your witness on your blog and your devotion for Christ that is so evident in everything that you do.

All 5 of your children are so blessed to have you as their mother. You are a blessing to Christ too in the way that you live. I know he is looking at you saying, "Well done my good and faithful servant."