Monday, October 18, 2010

That's It I'm Done!

I will wipe NO MORE and I will no longer force the bathroom visits, either.

This decision has caused a little anxiety - commonly known as withholding...

But whatever it takes.

One child has been following me around all morning using every tactic in the book to get me to tell them to go use the restroom. I refuse to engage. I just start singing... It's always the same song.

We had our little talk. The kids know what to do. I've done an excellent job of teaching, if I don't say so myself. I've  walked them through the routine for nearly 8 months. We are so ready to move on past the security of being told what to do every  minute of the day (and using that for as fodder for control issues).

I was saved by the phone. Said child suddenly realized I might be tied up for awhile they had to go bad enough they couldn't play the "game" any longer and went, but then, this was the same child who played with fate long enough this morning that by the time this child showed up for breakfast it was closer to lunch than breakfast the meal had been cleared away and the dishes done.

Other child is in serious withholding mode. I'm feeding them a diet of all fiber and fluids...

This might take a week... but I have no doubt they are ready. They have proven they are capable. I am counting on success.

And there's bribery involved. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm counting on hearing about their success! :) Good luck! And stand strong!

GB's Mom said...

Nothing like a little bribery to get over the rough spots :)