Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Angels

Christina is officially a teenager. She is 13. Her friend, Shiana, turned 13 today, too.


The day was busy with school, work, speech, OT, choir, etc, etc.... so we had a simple family birthday celebration at home this evening. Buster burst into tears after we were all done... and from what I could gather he ate too much cake. Missy LOVES a birthday party. She can't wait until she's 7 and she announced she wants a computer for her present. LOL! Maybe when you turn 16, kiddo.



So yesterday I was completely discouraged and exhausted from the constant  need to be on alert trying everything I know to sidestep battles all day long with the twins. It really is an amazing thing to realize the twins are LOOKING for ways to engage me in a battle and SEEKING out confrontation and Control  at nearly every moment. The stress, the disappointment, and the fear that I was not handling things in a way to eventually turn things around was getting me down.

Then today went just fine. Missy was an angel ALL day from the moment I let her know that I wasn't going to play the "getting dressed" game until she fell into bed tonight she was on her best behavior. Did I mention she loves birthdays??? Wednesdays are usually her worst days... but I shortened my Tuesday town trip by asking Vanessa to drive her sisters around to music lessons and the twins were home early enough for lunch and had all afternoon to play on the new gravel heap outside in the sun. I'm thinking we'll go with the shortened version of our Tuesday town trips every week from now on and hopefully we can avoid Wednesday morning melt downs.

Buster wasn't going to be an angel... he had some ideas in mind. I came into the kitchen where he was sitting and told him I wasn't up for games today. That I was tired and not feeling so great and if he felt like pushing buttons I knew where the mountain was and so did he!!! And then I looked up and realized I had forgotten I had been called to the phone.  It was sitting right by us and the pastor heard my every word of admonition to the little guy. The man didn't have a lot to say. . . . I'm guessing he was thinking how not to push any buttons....  *smile* I was only embarrassed for 5 seconds. I decided since he has raised kids, redheads at that, he's had to put his foot down a time or two himself. You think?

Anyways, Buster seriously doesn't want to be responsible for his bathroom care.... so he's a little stressed about that. Otherwise he pulled his act together and had a good day.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

My plan is to give negative attention seekers zero satisfaction.

4 comments:

stellarparenting.com said...

I have been reading here and there but not commenting because theings have been so busy. I wanted to say hang in there, you are doing an amazing job with all of your kids and you are a fantastic mama!

GB's Mom said...

J is right! Hang tight :)

Kelly said...

Hope you have a good day. At least a day without the mountain hike. Shew. That's the last thing I would want. :)

Homeschooling6 said...

They grow up so fast. My oldest will be 13 next year. Yikes!