Thursday, September 16, 2010

Triangles

One of the speech teachers and the Pt teacher are concerned because the kiddos don't have their shapes down pat. They know what a circle and a square is, but they get confused beyond that. I have spent at least an hour on the triangle. We held foam triangles in different colors, we drilled, we ate triangle shaped foods, etc... and we still get it wrong!!! I cut up a couple of granola bars into triangle shapes and every time they got it right they ate one. If they got it wrong I ate one. I saw a couple of sparks of anger in Missy's eyes when I ate the first couple. She literally threw her foam triangle out the door, but almost as quickly as the impulse to get upset came she decided to pull it together before I said anything. I do believe she is learning to control herself.  I might have been all discouraged with teaching them the triangle if I didn't know from experience that sometimes it takes three days to stick. That's what I'm hoping for, anyway.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Hang in there. Beth still can't remember what a vase is called. I have tried everything. I have given up. There are many words it has taken 18 months or more for her to remember and she still hesitates and really has to stop and think before it comes to her.

Nate has similar situations with words. He uses the word "thing" all the time. He can't make a meaningful sentence to save him. He was trying to tell me the box top contest at school is over tomorrow and he said, "box top tomorrow ends".

It is sooooo hard to communicate with both of them and I get so frustrated trying to figure out what they are trying to tell me. They get so upset when I can't read their minds.

I really hope you have better results than I have. Great idea with the food.