Thursday, September 2, 2010

Accountable Kids

Buster struck out at sister first thing this morning once again. I don't think it hurt 'cause she was just not that upset. The principle of the matter counts, though. You can not solve your troubles by lashing out at others. It almost seems like he has traded wetting his pants for hitting and hurting others. This morning I made the avoidance of this this new strange behavior a part of the accountable kids program we have recently launched.

My sister bought twins the Accountable Kids sets. Accountable Kids  It's quite a nice program. We've been on it three days. Each chore / activity the children are required to accomplish in a day is in a tag that hooks onto the board. This has freed me up from saying, "Did you brush your teeth? Did you make your bed? It IS time to go poop!" etc.... Now they run to the board and move the next tag and they know what needs to be done. At the end of the day if all their tags are in the right place they get a star towards going on a special outing with mom or dad. There are bonus bucks for extra chores, there are tickets for earning privileges (such as getting to play with the train set -  LOL!), there are good behavior cards. The twins like it! So far, I like it too.

****
An update on my efforts with Missy's listening skills last night. This morning I had her tell the girls a little bit about our special story time. With painstaking effort I drew out details of the story from her. It's difficult at best. 

Me: "What was the little girl in the story's name? "
Her: Shrug
Me: "Was it Sarah?"
Her: nod
Me: "No, it wasn't Sarah, was it Mary?
Her: "no"
Me: "Was it Amy, was it Susie, was it Jenny?"
Her: "no"
Me: "Was it Mina?"
Her: "yes!"
Me: "What did she make?"
Her: "A doll"
Me: "What did she make it out of?"
Her: "red hair".
Me: "Well, she did give the doll red hair, didn't she? What happened to her daddy?"

Yup.... painstaking! But she got better and better at answering and I did my best to make her feel successful. We'll keep working on this. It think it will do something for her. I will keep you posted.

No comments: