Thursday, September 9, 2010

Speech Evaluation Results + The Fair

Both Little Miss and Buster Brown tested at 2.5 years below age level in language comprehension. That puts them at about 4. The other part of the language test Buster came out at nearly 5 yrs. and Missy at about 4. Truth be told the score totals cannot be less than 50 ... and they scored 49 and 48, or as low or lower than the test can actually go.

The speech therapist is as mystified about Missy's inability to come up with words as I am. Missy understands mostly, but cannot spit out the words on her own  -- or isn't willing to try as a protective measure. She is showing some signs of embarrassment and frustration over her speech issues. Today she came to me and asked for "shoes".  I thought that was odd because she knows where her shoes are.

Me: Did you want new shoes?
Her: No.
Me: You can't find a certain pair of shoes?
Her: No. Please may I have 'shoes'?
Me: Do you mean SHOES like this? and I kicked off my shoes.
Her: No.
Me: What do you want?
Her: SHOES!
Me: Shoes, shoes, shoes.... racking my brain.....  Is there another word for it? Could you tell me the color?
Her: No.
Me: What do you want?
Her: NUTTING!  - Walks away....
Me: Wait!! can you show me a picture or draw one?
Her: NO! Frustrated and hiding her face.

Later I asked the girls what they thought she wanted.... and they figured out she wanted ---
Ready?

JUICE!

She doesn't have the ability to come up with alternatives such as..."Something to drink, grape juice, I'm thirsty, something in the fridge...."

Every once in awhile last evening Buster would come to me and say, "I prayed  my chicken can go to the fair."

I prayed that God would honor his faith. I think this is the first time he's made a point to pray for something like this. No one called from the fair last night and when the kids went to take care of the rabbit this morning it was still a no-go. The girls persisted (Vanessa I think really pushed the management) and finally the lady looked at them and said, "How soon can you get those chickens here?"

Vanessa quickly responded, "5 minutes!!"

"Okay, you have 5 minutes and not a minute more or forget it!"

Vanessa called me on her cell in a panic... and I had to hold the phone 2 feet from my ear (She's just like my mother in that way.) Steve rushed out with Bri and they had those chickens at the fair in 5 minutes.
So "farmer Joe" in his overalls and straw hat is quite proud to be going to the fair to do "BARN DUTY" this afternoon. If you ask him how his chicken got into the fair he'll tell you, "Jesus did it".

Little Missy has chilled out a bit and is talking about going tomorrow.  I keep saying, "Yes! Tomorrow you are going to the fair because you are going to make good choices today" and she always agrees. (Isn't that nice?)

3 comments:

GB's Mom said...

Even God occasionally need the help of a pushy Mom :)

acceptance with joy said...

GB'S Mom,
LOL! How about a pushy big sister. It was the 17 year old that pushed it through,.

Kelly said...

That is such a sweet story and memory. :)