Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Astounding

We went to speech therapy today. I warned the therapist that we've been doing some therapy and that I'm seeing some changes then I left Missy with her for an hour. When I came back the gal was standing there looking at me with gaping mouth. "You have to tell me what you have been doing. It's amazing!!!"

Apparently, Missy's accuracy last week in answering WHY questions was about 20%. Today she her accuracy was 90%! For example: Why do you wash the car? Missy used to repeat the question, "Why you wash the car?" and about 20% of the time, with a lot of prompting, she could come up with an answer. Today she did not repeat the questions. She answered, "Because the car is dirty". Her over all score was 90% accuracy. The therapist also found her more spontaneous in offering information and comments and they were clear and easy to understand.

After Buster's turn the therapist was shaking her head saying, "Well, he met nearly every goal I had planned out for him, I might have to retest him, because my plan is no longer relevant". I suggested she wait a couple weeks to retest since we've only been doing the light therapy for a few days.

I wrote Dr. Wylie a quick note to let him know how things are going and he was pleased. He says the combination of the music and the light therapy is interacting  virtually the whole brain and nervous system and he suggested we try adding essential oils to stimulate other aspects of the brain through the sense of smell.

I played with letter cards with Buster while we waited for Missy at speech. He got tired of me arranging the letters into words and he started spelling words himself. That was a new step.

Missy was throwing out new sentences left and right such as, "I want to eat yogurt at the Poulson's house." I didn't even know she knew the piano teacher's last name. It seems that words were all stored up in her head waiting for the day when she could begin to use them.

OH, and I have to add that the twins behaved like perfect little angels all day today! Thanks for the prayers!

2 comments:

stellarparenting.com said...

that is so great!

Dee said...

Praise the Lord! What a beautiful praise report!