Monday, May 3, 2010

Huh?

Everytime he was told to go potty yesterday Little Boy didn't even blink an eye. He never even cried. The girls and I were in shock.

What made the difference?
Did he just give up?
Or was it that dumb Princess and the Potty book that he's been dragging around the last couple of days?
Or did he embarrass himself really good when he pooped a big job in his pants when he was playing with his friends after church ? It was embarrassing - but not for me. "Sorry guys, this is what having these kids is all about." The woman's bathroom had to be barricaded and the underwear thrown out. Everyone had to know what was going on and we weren't even at our church. My children's choir had put on a program in nearby town and the entire choir - age 6 -12, were having a grand time playing outside after the fellowship meal when Buster Brown pooped. Did he care? I don't know. Is he even concerned about what others think? I don't know.

I know one thing for sure and that is I will expect him to resume the fight at any moment. Every step of progress seems to go backwards for a time and then the next step is incrementally a bit further ahead.  I just know I enjoyed yesterday very much. It was fun to be able to work in the garden with them and to teach them how to dig up earthworms. It was enjoyable watching them play with the ducks and the rabbits. I loved watching him ride his bike knowing that he wouldn't be a putrid mess any minute because he had not fought the toilet and had done his job.

I'm praying for these kiddos. God has a plan for them. I need extra grace and patience to teach them, though.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Patience is so critical but so hard sometimes. Especially at the times when they step backward and you have gotten a glimpse of the potential you know they have. Glad it was a good day. Hope today is another of the same!!

Jenny said...

I hope you have another great day today!! I can relate to the few steps forward, then some big ones backward!! Our last few days have been very difficult.

GB's Mom said...

Keep your eye on the goal! You are getting better and better at this.