Monday, May 24, 2010

I'm Starving, Mom

It wasn't quite supper time when Little Guy started in on the starving bit. I laughed at first. It was the first time he had used that with me. Usually he says, "I'm hungwy". But he was pretty insistent and since I wasn't anywhere near ready I selected a nice looking ripe D'Anjou from the case of winter pears someone had graciously brought to us as a gift and washed it and told him to start with that. I knew of course, that he had never eaten a pear before and would not be inclined to. He didn't even try it before he declared that he didn't like it! I told him he surly wasn't very hungry and certainly not starving if he wouldn't eat a pear. Everybody else grabbed and washed their pick and bit into the delectable juicy fruit.He sat and pouted. I wasn't giving in. I decided not to even look like I was going to serve anything else. Finally he grabbed the dumb pear. Yanked it's stem out and took a big bite.

His first words: This is delicious!!!!!!

The juice ran down his chin and all over the counter before he was done. We had to explain about the core and how to get around it. Tomorrow he will turn his nose up again, I'm sure. It takes awhile but he'll learn.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

LOL. I do this to my kids all the time. Offer something healthy and that starving child suddenly isn't nearly as hungry as they thought. Ha. Love it. Glad he tried it. This sounds like Nate. He says he doesn't like everything but once he tries it he likes so much of it.

Jenny said...

Yesterday, one girl didn't want to eat where we were picking up dinner on the way back from our appt. She said she wasn't hungry. She got home and said she still wasn't hungry. Anyway, she suddenly wanted a cookie. Sorry, you aren't hungry. Of course, I was eating one and wasn't hungry but stressed!! I didn't tell her that!! Mommy rights!