Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Little Bribery

I thought I would try something.

I told the twins if they could keep their underwear clean and dry all day they could have a scoop of soy ice-cream for supper.

They did very well. Little Guy had a tiny bit of trouble keeping dry twice. It wasn't a waterfall like usual, and he told me several times today that he had to go so I was quite pleased, but he never asked for ice-cream come supper because he knew he wasn't completely dry. No one said anything to him about it he just knew he had been a little wet. Little Missy was fabulous! She was clean and dry and did her job well and drank water happily on her own, etc... She thought she had the "prize" tonight and right when it was time to get it, she didn't think I would ask her to go pee one more time... She didn't think anybody would check... she wet herself good and proper right then. She was embarrassed at being discovered. I told her I was disappointed and I hugged her and told her to try again tomorrow.

As the behaviors are improving I'm fine tuning my responses and putting them into action quicker. For instance there was a time that if someone would cross the little guy he would go into a full blown screaming tantrum. It's getting to be less and less. The duration of the tantrums, the force behind them, the frequency, everything is less then before. Tonight he was crossed and he pouted and stomped to the couch and sat rather heavily away from me and refused to look me in the eye. I asked him to be respectful and look at me and apologize to his twin. He only partially complied so I asked him to please go to bed. He was stunned. The anger evaporated and he sobbed broken-hearted on my shoulder. I prayed with him and he still missed the story and went to bed before Missy. I know the Lord is working in their lives. I know that these kids are not as difficult and hard-hearted as they appeared, either.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

You were right. The beauty is already coming. It is amazing how quickly change occurs with consistency and love. Good job mommy.