Friday, May 7, 2010

Flushed

The day was busy, busy..... Supper was late and I was thinking out loud, "So, where DID the day go?"

Bri never missed a beat, "We flushed it down the toilet!"

It's so true it's sad.

I've been so very, very careful not to feed the twins anything that would cause them diarrhea because there's just no way to be successful when it's coming out all over the place and yet trying to keep things moving at the same time. I'm working so hard at this. I calculate everything.  I put flax in everything. I make pumpkin bran muffins, I still make shake twice a day. I monitor their food intake - whole grains, whole beans, whole fruits and veggies... You read about Tuesday's morning affair with the commode. Well, Wednesday was a pretty good day because, knowing the transit time is slow, we didn't worry about accidents until late in the day and there were none and then they managed to clean out at 7 pm. Yeah, I know, it's strange they both go at the same time.... but anyway, Thursday was scott free . Remember the transit time is about 36 hours, and so .. .  that brings us to today. We started trying after breakfast for short periods of time. Try - then exercise, then try, then water, then try then exercise.... NO GO! Buster caught onto the "game" and rushed to get his shoes and coat on and headed outside by himself directly after being let off the pot and in 5 minutes he had started to fill his pants. I caught him and he was NOT happy. We endured a very trying time in the process of the clean-up. We knew he had not finished the job so it was on and off for longer periods of time ALL day. Missy never did go. Her belly is distended and hard. She's gassy and miserable - but she won't go. What to do! We've done prune juice and hot drinks and cherry shake and pumpkin bran muffins. It's just nuts.

We've all spent so much time in the bathroom that we feel a little disoriented and out of touch.

***

Little Missy keeps asking me a startling question.

"Momma, are you old?"

EH? What'd you say????

Is it because she talks so softly and unclearly that I can never hear what she's saying and she figures I'm so old I'm deaf?

Maybe so, but  the question always comes right after I've told her she can't help with something, as in, -Your too little for this job so I'll take care of it.

"Momma, are you old?"

"Yes, dear! And with you two around I'm sure to be ancient soon."

Steve brought out a box of hair dye. He's offering to do the job for me . . .

Just call me Grandma.... sigh....

***

Little Guy has made some noticeable improvements in his eating habits. He's now eating canned and frozen fruit and jams and fruit sauces. He likes bananas a lot now. Apples are still a no go, but he's  eating green beans and soft veggies and he hasn't gagged and thrown up at the table in awhile. I always put a little of everything on his plate. If he wants a graham cracker or desert or a treat after the meal he must clean off his plate and he always does without too much ado after the initial "I like that  NO!!!!!"  so I'm most certain that flavors are not an issue with him. It's textures that cause him grief. Speaking to the Speech Therapist about that she commented that this is something that shows up in kids that have been on the bottle too long. He was five and still drinking from a bottle. Probably never had much experience with a variety of foods where he came from and he needs to actually learn to chew, and swallow and deal with different foods. I see huge improvement. He still swallows everything whole. We were at a dinner where they used candies for decorations on the table. Missy asked for one and I agreed. Buster asked for one and I said, "no". Steve wasn't thinking and asked, "why not?"
 "Because I think he'll choke on it."
But Steve thought I was being unfair - to say nothing of Little Guy's feeling about my decision so I relented. In 5 seconds he was seriously choking and a great whack on the back from Steve dislodged the pretty offender right across the table.

He has always choked on lettuce leaves and acts like he hates salad. Yesterday I made a huge Asian salad with all the bright colors of purple cabbage, orange peppers, red tomatoes, green cilantro, etc... and rice noodles with dressing. Yummmm it was so good! I put a tiny little bit on Buster's plate and more on his sister's. He was almost offended. "I want lots and lots of salad!!"
Okay - so that's a first!!!!!!!And miracles of miracles he asked for more and he ate every bite, too.

Popsicle are  hilarious to feed these twins. They don't know what to do with the cold. They eat it as fast as they can then run to their bedroom, throw themselves on their beds and pout until their mouths thaw out.

3 comments:

GB's Mom said...

I find apple cider, not juice, works well when the plumbing backs up. It doesn't give them diarrhea, but it comes out so easy that the kids have a hard time being unsuccessful! I love to read about their progress. You are doing great!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting Little Guy to eat other foods. We're still struggling with our little one. He only wants "C" words (crackers, chips, cereal or candy). Any suggestions?

:)De said...

Happy Mother's Day!!

Peace