Monday, March 21, 2011

The Way it Goes

I was prepared... and it worked out well. I had a plan before I ever crawled out of bed.

See, yesterday, I needed to work at the church for a bit and since both kiddos were playing happily together I figured it safe to leave them with the girls for a little while. Vanessa dropped me off and drove off to prepare a meal for an elderly couple. That left me wheel-less which I would regret. . .

So the twins both decided that no one was in charge of them and they were going to get their way - whatever the cost. They chose to be unreasonable.


WOW! I received a few phone calls with blood curdling screams going on in the background. For the most part the girls handled them really well. They did what they should do and didn't get too upset about it, but it wasn't ending and it was taking Vanessa a long time to come and pick me up.

The girls actually managed to turn Buster around and by the time I was home he had apologized and was busily scrubbing the bathroom in restitution.  LOL, Christina had him scrub the whole bathroom floor with her with a toothbrush using bleach soft scrub to whiten the tile grout. LOL! Anybody know who that girl's mother is?  She must have one of those slave driver moms!!!! 

Missy was another story. I had her carry up six small pieces of wood. Yep. Six trips up and down the hill... it gave time for the steam to fizzle.

Today I decided enough of this nonsense everytime I try to leave them at home for a bit.  IT's time they  learn. After breakfast I sat them down and talked to them about yesterday. I was especially pointed in my concern about the name calling that had been going on the day before. I told them they had broken my trust and that I was going back to the church for a while. They couldn't just play, nor could they go with me. They needed to sit on a chair with some books and they would not be allowed off so long as I was gone. They would have to mind Vanessa. I also told them that if they so much as started to fuss Vanessa would call me and I would be home in less than 5 minutes.... and life would never be the same again if that happened!! Okay, kidding about the last part. I did tell them that I would be home immediately to deal with disrespect.

It worked. I'll be doing that until they learn to obey and respect my word even when I am not visible.

Later  however Buster was engrossed in his lego project and when lunch was called he flipped his lid and said he wasn't hungry, stomped around and threw a fit.  I put him in time out and told him that he needed to be quiet on the chair for 15 minutes and then he would have lunch.  He fussed and fumed and huffed and puffed and yelled for 2 hours.   I just kept telling myself to outlast, outlast, outlast.

Then this evening Missy threw a royal. I put her on the same chair. She knew enough to keep quiet... but the second I let her off she had to have some disrespectful words and I decided an early bed was required and OH MY! What a tantrum we endured. It was the most amazing sight we ever saw!! She hopped like a kangaroo backwards a foot off the floor continuously... and just as she was about to hit the table she fell under it narrowly missing hitting the back of her head on the wood. All four of us stood in utter shock and disbelief.. She really could have knocked herself unconscious but she missed the table by a hair.  I decided then and there to physically put her in bed. What a battle... but we were able to get her to the point where we could pray together.

Chalk it up as another day.

No comments: