Friday, March 18, 2011

Like a Sponge

I would tell him a hymn number and then he would have to find it. 
Then we'd sing the first verse (whether or not we knew the song). 
He didn't know he was doing school work. 
Can you think of a more fun way to learn to read numbers?
(and good sight reading for me :-)


He discovered a few Dick and Jane books on the bookshelf and he's devouring them. 
He'll read to anyone who will listen! 
It's fast becoming his favorite thing to do. 
The other day a truck whizzed past us at an intersection...
He calls out;  Fed Ex
WHAT's Fed Ex? He's always asking about things he's read.
I try to explain everything. 
It's opening up a new world of insight and knowledge
and right now he's like a sponge.
He likes to help... but I think the knife was too dull for the job? 
You think? 
These are leeks we're harvesting from last year's garden. 
There's still a bunch out there. Makes great soup.
As for Missy,
there's nothing to show. She's in a stand-off that may last quite awhile. 
She turns everything into a battle. 
Everything I say is to be challenged on the sly or full-on confrontation. 
Poor kiddo cannot learn a thing when she's in this mode. It's more like regression.
I can't understand her words, even.
She could not even tell me what a 2 was today. (ummm 19? Maybe 26?
Nor could she so much as hand me the book in front of her nose. 
( Book, what book? I don't see a book!
The good part is today I'm not stressing about it
and she's finding I won't engage. Period.
I'm sure this is in answer to prayer.
She'll come around. 
I just walk away and keep her world SMALL and there's no reward of any kind for foolish behavior.

No comments: