Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Tents and Forts

Buster has discovered creating tents with blankets and sheets. The dining table turned into a VBS tent complete with "projector", stuffed animals and pillows. It takes a few minutes here and there to expand his limited imagination... but then he becomes obsessed. I like to see him trying out new ideas and expanding on what we show him. He needs it, but hubby and I decided we have to mark off definite play times because if Buster is asked to do anything other than what he is concentrating on and obsessed with at the moment his happy face turns sour. In fact this morning he lost his swimming privilege because I asked him to do something and even though it is something I require him to do every morning, it interfered with his play, so his face turned sour and he instantly peed his pants. Funny, he did it to spite me, and he admitted he did because he was mad at me, but he tried to hide it which doesn't make much sense. I didn't make a big deal of it. Just quietly reminded him that the rule is no swimming, so he sat by the pool and did crafty stuff during lessons. He takes his consequences well. I made it clear he had made the decision and he knew ahead what the consequence would be and he agreed. While he was out the tent "mysteriously" disappeared. He can remake it after lunch.

The twins are busy cutting pictures out of a magazine and pasting them in a notebook. Today we are practicing cutting. They seem to be concentrating pretty well - him more than her. It will probably become the next obsession. :-)

Something that drives me crazy is the constant asking over and over for something, or to do something. It seems to matter not if I have given an answer or no. Yesterday I had to go in the bank. I parked and turned around and looked them in the eye and said, "I know that the second we walk in the bank you will want to be asking to go potty and you will want to ask me over and over and over, not because you need to go, but because you will be bored with waiting for me to do my banking. I am telling you right now that I will take you potty as soon as I am done my banking so DO NOT ASK to go."

We were not in there for 30 seconds and she was begging to go pee. I looked at her and asked, "what did I say in the car?"

her: "Don't ask to go pee."

She continued to plague me about it with a smirk on her face. At the end of my banking I reminded her about our deal and she lost the privilege of going into anymore stores. Big bummer!  Christina was like, "Hey, that means I have to stay in the car, too!!!"  LOL  So I stayed in the car and sent Christina in on my errands. At every stop she asked to go in and at every stop I asked her what had happened at the bank. . . .

The two oldest girls are working cherries at a higher elevation. If he's real lucky, my dad just might see some of those cherries.

No comments: