Monday, July 26, 2010

It's a Raw Deal

The rash has got to be painful. I hadn't noticed it until today and I had not even put two and two together when I wondered aloud, "What in the world is that from?"

He never missed a beat.  "From peeing my pants."

Owe!!

Just minutes before this discovery I asked him to go pee. He sat there and sat there and could not produce a drop. It kind of worried me a little. It's pretty hot these days and maybe I didn't push enough fluids on our trip yesterday. I had just given him a big glass of water, so he should have been able to go! I finally told him, "I think you are dehydrated and we will work on getting more fluids into you today."

Five minutes later his underwear were soaked. Right after his shower I discovered his skin is raw. He's the one who told me why it's raw!!

So, what to do....

He's making some terrible choices and he understands the consequences and he keeps making the bad choices.

1 comment:

shastastevens said...

Yeah, I got nothing. I just want you to know this is not uncommon and most people say they grow out of it! Will he wear pullups? That's what I'd do, with no shame or begging him to stop. Now, if he pulls them aside to wet his clothing anyway (or shreds them). . .

I'm sure you are aware this could be a surpressed emotion that he can't use words to get out. If you know what it is, vocalizing it for him might help. Lots of compassion and understanding regarding any of his life's raw deals is a must! For mine that worked through this, pullups and a good bond formed from me (faking) not being grossed out and voicing hurts I knew from his past worked. I have others that nothing seems to work.