Sunday, July 11, 2010

An Attitude of Willingness

Little Guy just practiced doing up the button on his church pants 20 times. We made a big deal of it and had fun. He proved to me and to himself that there is no need for a major crisis Sabbath morning over that one single button.

Little Guy also tied his shoes 5 times this morning. Definitely a bigger job and still takes a lot of help. The lack of eye hand coordination doesn't help matters, but we can learn!! We kept the practice to 5 to minimize the frustration, but we'll practice 5 times every day until next Sabbath and hopefully that will eliminate reason for crisis number two each and every week (and every other time we ask him to try tying his shoes with help).

Little Missy's efforts to keep her twin from having a crisis by buckling his car seat for him, carrying things for him, making his bed, etc... will not be accepted. He is capable, only unwilling, but by prayer and faith, this will change.

Buster kept his pants dry for a whole week, but swimming lessons only happen Monday through Thursday thus Little Man had no incentive to keep from peeing his pants Friday.... at least until mom figured it out and he found himself having to shadow her every move so she could monitor his every move.  He did not find it much fun considering she was doing a mountain of laundry.


I have a plan. I have decided to tackle the lazy habits that prevent progress. My husband's words confirmed to me that this is the major thing that must be tackled now. After encouraging and working with the Little Guy for quite a while one day and zero effort was being put forth in the right direction, Steve turned to me and said, "You will not be able to homeschool this child. It will be absolutely frustrating and he will spend his time bucking your every instruction instead of learning."

My thoughts exactly!

Obviously, we haven't been ignoring this particular character trait, but potty training has been a pretty big focus until lately. I must give credit to the Lord for success in that area. Both children are potty trained!!!! The impossible became the possible and then became success. God gave them the power to overcome old habits, health problems and gave them the will to make the change. He gave me strength and tenacity to see the job done.  This past success gives me the courage to tackle the mountains ahead. I've been wondering if God saw fit to put the very obvious and very difficult mountain of potty training at the very forefront of our journey so that we would have a very obvious success to look back on and KNOW that even the impossible can be accomplished by God's grace. I had been told it couldn't be done with these two. Everything had been tried that could be tried to no avail, but with God, all things are possible.

Our new assignment is to learn to TRY. May God give the poor, pathetic child grace and an attitude of willingness. 


I'm looking for dozens of miniature life skills to put on my list of new things to practice on. Something new for every day and to add to the list of things to practice. "Forgetting" how to do a simple task will only make it a priority and give us reason to practice, practice. practice.   Little Miss is going along for the ride. . . she loves a challenge and can follow directions to a T. She rarely forgets. Only she wants to control everything. We'll work on that, too.

Time to go collect Bible Promises . This is not going to be easy.

2 comments:

GB's Mom said...

You are doing great! Prayers and hugs!

:)De said...

When I got my now 6 yr old at the age of 3 1/2, there was so much that he did not know it was hard to know where to start. I made a list of all the life skills that we naturally teach our babies and everyday, without even telling him that this is what I was doing, I would spend the first few minutes of school teaching and doing even the simple infant stuff...touching and naming his eyes, nose, mouth, etc... finger plays and role playing, " This is how mommy feeds/cares for the baby" type stuff. During school I would often find task that he could not complete because he had not learned basic skills, so then I would go back and teach those things he had missed. It was a slow moving thing at first, but once he learned how to learn (which I had to teach all of my kids when they first came home from from public school) he started taking off.

The little ones I have now are learning how to learn. It is a task, but God is big!

Peace,
:)De