Thursday, July 15, 2010

Lapse in Better Judgement

Today has proved that I am a very unwise mother for letting Missy Sleep in the tent last night.


Dear Missy.

I am so sorry I let you stay up a little later last night to make a rag doll. I am so sorry you didn't sleep in your own bed. The pleasant summer night out on the lawn was just too much excitement for one little girl to handle and poor Christina didn't get much sleep either.  I'm sorry you can't follow directions today without arguing, can't seem to obey without a fight and that you are very disrespectful. I hope the hike on the mountain with dad sorts out your feelings so you can take a nap (instead of a swimming lesson). I'm sorry it has come to this. We tried to help you get through the morning without falling apart. I think you've been overly cocky about your good behavior of late and it's all come crashing down. After your nap, we'll start over. Each time we start over it lasts longer. You'll get there my dear. I know it. I'm praying for you. God is doing miracles in your heart. I see it every day. When you are happy and sweet you warm my heart, when you are cranky and irrational you break it, but I still love you and I remember what you are like when you are pleasant.  I thank the Lord you are more pleasant than not these days and I know the bad days will soon fade away. Hopefully I will learn what you can and cannot handle. Someday you'll be able to do the exciting stuff other little girls do and you won't suffer for it. Someday, I promise it will be true.

Love,
Mommy

3 comments:

GB's Mom said...

I am sure you will learn. We all do :)

~marci~ said...

Admitting mistakes makes one good mom...hang in there! Young hearts understand a heartfelt "I am sorry for...!" And forgive yourself...that is important too!

Kelly said...

We just want so badly for them to have a normal, fun life. Can't fault us for that. Look at it this way... a memory was made. She won't remember the negative stuff only the fun she had. :) Don't criticize yourself for wanting her to have fun and for wanting to reward her for her good behavior. You are a GREAT mom!!