Sunday, July 4, 2010

Grace and Mercy and the Contender

I appreciated the feedback on the post Grace and Mercy.  It think all agreed that consistency and love are all key to success in this endeavor. Being strict without love would in the end just be abuse. It would only further the work of hardening the hearts of these children. We are warned in Ephesians 6, directly after admonishing children to obey, "not to provoke them to anger, but to bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord." Wishy-washyness would only serve to confuse the situation and the kiddos would be constantly guessing and testing to figure out what the limits were.  I have decided that we are on the right course, and that I must keep the expectations, requirements and standards high. They must be clear and plain and the rules as few as possible. I can extend grace and mercy when they fail while still remaining firm.

I think it is important to remember that we wrestle not against flesh and blood, as Ephesians 6 carries on to explain. I believe in a literal controversy going on between Christ and Satan. Satan has made his claim on the human race, but Christ has also made His claim with blood.  In the Contender's claim to these little children he argues their heritage, the bondage of the parents, the degradation of their past, the warped character traits,  etc...  But we are not to despair. Christ already won the victory and we can declare His triumph in their behalf as their new parents. Satan, however, does not accept that he is a defeated foe and this accounts for the battle we often find ourselves in.  For me, it is to remember not to take the fight personally. The battle is rather a rescue scene and it is God's battle. I'm the basically the flag bearer and I hold it up best on my knees.

I take comfort in the verses in Isaiah 49:24 -25.  "Shall the prey be taken from the mighty, or the lawful captive delivered? But thus saith the Lord, Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken away, and the prey of the terrible shall be delivered; for I will contend with him that contendeth with thee, and I will save thy children."

Do we need any more promise than that?

"There hath not failed one word of all His good promise." 1Kings 8:56

No comments: