Friday, July 22, 2011

Where Greedy Gets You

I've been MIA because I have been sick.

.... again!

I'm getting really tired of it.

By the way, my sickness has nothing to do with the title of this post. Just thought I would clarify that! :-)

Anyway, I don't feel too bad today and I think I'm on the mend which is good because I'm only 15,339 days old even if I feel like a hundred years. Tomorrow I'll be 42. I had to write that down, because I have thought I was 42 or 43 or 40 something for a whole year now. My husband is really daft or he likes to get me confused and  I'm beginning to think he's daft... 'cause the joke is getting old. He has no trouble getting me royally confused about how old I am. You see, I have trouble with numbers. If there is such a thing as number dyslexia, I've got it. Only, I think I see them fine, I just can't remember them for NOTHING! Not prices, not miles per gallon, not distances, not highway numbers, not phone numbers,  not my social security number, license plate number, not any number period ... not even my age. I use  mnemonics to remember the things I HAVE to know. It only works for things that always stay the same. Like my girls were born in '93, '95' 97. Those are all odd numbers, spaced evenly apart, and they were born just before the new century, etc...  Don't ask how I managed to teach my kids their times tables. Oh, yeah, mnemonics again. Mrs. Snowman (8) and Mrs. Weeks (7) were driving down the road one mile over the speed limit.... Ack! What was the speed limit again? 

I was thinking today was the end of our peace. Missy was snarly this morning and very competitive with her bro. When I called her on it she made like she was going to hit the roof... but she is taking a quiet time out and is complying nicely. I'm grateful.

She's been getting more and more irritated with my control over the amount of food she eats. This kid seems not to have a shut off valve. She's greedy and will scarf a bowl of food in 15 seconds flat if she thinks she can get more by hurrying. There isn't anything she won't eat. I have been giving her mini opportunities to show restraint but it isn't working. I let her serve herself the other day. I told her exactly how much to take and when I had my back turned she took it all and left none for anyone else. If I let her put peanut butter on her bread the next thing you know she's got her hand in there eating it as fast as she can. I have to serve her and tell her, "AND THAT'S IT! Don't ask for more."  and she always repeats me, "THAT's IT?? WHY". She's been getting grumpy about that recently.

The other day I told Steve, "I think I  am going to have to let her pig out one of these days so she can know why I am helping her with serving portions."

Steve was like, "Oh, no! Don't do that. She needs you to serve her."

Yesterday I had to leave the kids with Steve for a bit and the kids were playing outside.

Little Miss got into the cherry tree. Now, we have NEVER ever had trouble with the kids taking food without permission. They just don't. Whatever fuss they may make about it, they won't take it without an okay. However, the little kids next door came over and started eating cherries off the tree and the twins took that as permission to eat their fill. Missy then ate lunch and went back out and continued eating cherries while Steve was working outside. He never thought anything of it.

Ah, cherries. Perfect.

In the evening I called for her and she came up with her bicycle helmet on, holding her tummy and groaning her way up the drive. I thought she had been in a wreck. "Oh sweetie, did you fall off your bike? Where are you hurt?"

Moan, groan, "I aTe ToO mUcH!" Wail.....

I'll spare you the details. It was reminiscent of a year ago.  She had quite a time scrubbing underwear and cleaning herself up while I held a towel over my head and told her what to do.

I'd never make a nurse.

Don't you wish I was your mom? lol... Poor kid was miserable. Didn't even want supper.

5 comments:

~marci~ said...

Oh poor Missy! I know what that stomach ache feels like. I can only handle a few cherries at a time... but they are so good!!!

Kelly said...

LOL. Learning by natural consequences is sometimes the best and only way. ;)

Mama in Uganda said...

Right now I have one who has been "learning by natural consequences" for four days. ITS NOT PRETTY. But I am done trying to protect her from her sin/misbehavior. She has now been "given over" to the idol she has always worshipped in her heart--food. I am in it for the long haul this time.

Oldqueen44 said...

Unfortunately once the tummy ache is gone she will go right back to lusting after food. That is the case here. Ours is getting a little older now and is beginning to understand a little tiny bit to listen to her tummy. The other day she said she was full and asked if she had to eat all her oatmeal. I was thrilled/shocked. Of course not. My week with the 7 kids is over. I am thankful the parents came home safe and sound and I get to go back to being just grandma. I am way too old for what you gals do.

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem with remembering my age, which then messes with my oldest's age (we are 20 years apart) and My kids don't understand... Dh just thinks it is hilarious!

Warmly,
~Melissa