Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Day Improved

And we all weeded the gardens. You'd think I was mean or something. James had to weed the  tomato patch. There's all of one weed every three feet thanks to the strips of carpet and tons of mulch...

"But  MOM!! there's TEN rows!!"

Yup, and I can find 10 more if you complain too much.

He was mad for about a minute and then got down to business. Later he had to rake out the rows of the barn garden. Missy had to weed various patches and she takes pride in "getting the roots". They finished up with eating the newest ripe tomatoes and throwing buckets of water at each other. The water fight was a novel idea. Vanessa had to show them how. "but I'm wearing my clothes!!" LOL. They got it figured out.

So, I'm wondering if I should be writing so much. I hear tell it makes some people feel sorry for me. Do I sound like I am complaining and wishing my life away?  I knew what I was getting into. This was not about getting perfect children and turning them into Fords. This was about finding children who needed a family and needed to be introduced to Jesus. I did not assume it would be easy, in fact we have two nephews on both sides of our family who came from the hard places and I knew it could be like raising them. Some days are harder than others, and yes, there are moments when I wonder if I am made of the right stuff, but I am learning a lot through the experience that I would NOT trade  for anything and maybe I'm being made into the right stuff. My dependence on Christ has been taken to a new level - who would wish that away? I have to be very tough on the kids sometimes, I have to be totally consistent, I have to give them the gospel.  The one thing I would change if I could is I would have the people I run into sometimes  not act so afraid of our experience and just be friends with us like they used to...*sigh*

6 comments:

C Dawn's bucket said...

Personally I take encouragement from what you write. It helps me see that the good times follow the hard times and I've gleaned some useful ideas to try with my own hurting boys. Thanks for sharing. I know you follow my blog and I haven't written anything in months. All too often I just can't find the words and truly appreciate those like you who can.

:)De said...

I too find encouragement from what you have written.

GB's Mom said...

You do not write too much. I have found the changes in some friends one of the more difficult things to adjust to.

Anonymous said...

You are not writing too much, Ange. I think you have the making of a book that you'll write someday. Keep writing whatever people think. Life isn't easy for anyone. My heart was broken yesterday as I listened to a young lady tell what she went through at the hands of supposed "normal" people. It's a good thing the Lord lives. Dad

Sean and Lisa said...

Oh girl, I hope I didn't in any way make you feel like that by my one post. Goodness, no!
Sometimes it's hard for me to read your posts because they are so similar to what I am treading through on a daily basis and those days I just want to vicariously live through others' "Perfectly, normal" lives. If that makes sense. You have MUCH wisdom to share and I gain insight by reading how steadfast you are.
People need to know the truth about adopting children from "hard places". Too many of us go into it with rose colored glasses and boy do we pay a price for that!

Keep on keeping on girl! You are doing a GREAT job and the fruit is coming...slow but sure!

What a blessing your dad sounds like! How awesome to have him in your corner.
Much love!
Lisa

Melanie said...

I love your post. I lift you up in prayer when I read. I cry at my computer when I think of my children, I don't have them yet. We are still waiting on the State and on God's perfect timing. I feel like I'm getting conditioned for what may come once we are able to adopt.
I also get much enjoyment from your post. I love your spin on events.