Friday, July 8, 2011

A new Song

Two sections mowed. Critters fed. Garden watered.

Girl fairly warned to make the most of her play time. A moment of peace to soak up. Muscles relax. Mind engages in the world of black print...

MOM! MOM! the stillness is shattered.

I turn to glance.

MOM! 

His face flushed, eyes dancing. You got to hear this!!!

He runs off and returns with historic relic in hand. A cassette player. No matter, he thinks it's a new invention. He presses the button. The song starts up in the middle. MOM! You hear this?  he begins to sing along.

I have decided to follow Jesus no turning back. Though no one join me still I will follow....

I sing with him and marvel at how captivated he is by the song. I suspect through the earnestness of his eyes it's more than the music. He's taken by the message, the commitment to something he only begun to understand.

Mom, you like that song?

Yes, I love that song.

Me, too.

Children of the King. It's an old cassette recorded from an old record in a world of  Cd's and mp3's. Ancient relic indeed. We listened to it yesterday and the day before.. . It's the same music I listened to as a child.

He unplugs the player, I return to my words.

Hey MOM!  He standing beside me a 23rd Psalm picture book in hand. Mom, this book matches the song they are singing, The Lord is My Shepherd.

The music wafts down the stairs... Always, always, I walk with Him always.

And thus went my quiet hour. God is So Good, Praise Ye the Lord, I Am Redeemed -. Each song inspiring him so that he had to share.

I think back to my first memories of these same songs. I was 4. My parents became Christians then. You'd remember when you were 4 if your life had made so great a dramatic change as mine did. I remember sitting in the musty classroom of the basement of the little old church learning these songs and my heart swelling with joy. I loved them. I remember standing on the pew upstairs holding a black hymnal following with my ears, rather than my eyes to the words of the Old Rugged Cross. I can't sing the song without remembering.

It's amazing and a delight to see him soak it up. To know what he is experiencing and the happiness it brings him. It was different for the older girls. They were immersed in the songs before they could remember. They were born musicians, the lyrics a part of who they are. It means the world to them but it was never new; never some astonishing revelation.

I love to hear him sing in his off-key way, and I pray the sacred words will always kindle within his heart praise to the One who gave him the joy.

He hath put a new song in my mouth, 
even praise unto our God. 
Psalm. 40:3 

5 comments:

Mama in Uganda said...

Oh, how neat.

Fruit.

Praise the Lord.

Indeed HE does put a new song in our hearts.

Praying that for our two toughies.

Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
S

Oldqueen44 said...

So happy for little James.

Jennifer P said...

I love this. Caught AND taught.

Kelly said...

Such a sweet post. :)

Laurel said...

Just found your blog, and have been reading for awhile.

I, too, have a Little Miss with RAD. She's been home from Africa for 3 years. We still have our good days and our bad days.

Looks like you live in my state. I'm on the west ... looks like you might be over on the east side. :)

I look forward to getting to know you more. I enjoy your writing style, and your transparency.

Hope your week is BLESSED!

Laurel :)