Sunday, July 10, 2011

That Child of Mine

cannot, and I mean cannot do a single task without finding some intriguing mischief to get into. She absolutely cannot get a job done without 500 detours along the way. Something that should take her 5 minutes takes her an hour. Something that should take an hour probably would take all day...

Well at least, you say, she's having fun along the way!

Sometimes that is so.

At this very moment, though, tears are making little pathways down her cheeks for instead of washing the three plates and two cups and three spoons in the ten minutes I generously allotted her, in 65 minutes she has scrubbed an avocado pit shiny, put the blender blade -that must not be immersed ever - in the sink of soap sudsy water, used a quarter of a liter of dish soap, soaked her dress, dumped a jar of water over her head, wrapped the kitchen faucet with plastic saran,  found a knife and cut all the watermelon peels into tiny bits, and sliced her finger (teeny-weeny, almost-can't-see-it-kind-of-slicing but drama queen that she is you would think she cut off her finger. There is no blood, so no band-aid. That's the rule or I would have to take out stocks in Johnson and Johnson Band-aide company.) and, *sigh*  the dishes are still not done.

BUT

I'm happy.

Very happy to be dealing with NORMAL childish behavior.

Granted, she has an edge on most 7 year olds for childish behavior, but I'll take it over screaming any day and we haven't had that in a week. YAY! I think she is learning. She gets in a twit when she knows she is in trouble, but doesn't lose total self-control and I'm going easy so that she knows that her self-control is more important to me than the issue at hand.

While she hasn't forgotten the minuscule cut  - she really, really wishes it would bleed - the tears are done and she's continuing to find things to do with soapy water and I continue to remind her to get the job done and that we have other things to do besides shrivel our fingers up in the sink.

It's been so different having the twins without the girls home. James is taking responsibility to help me unasked. He has been way less emotional this week and transitioning decently. I have been feeding him fresh ground flax like it's going out of style at every meal and I do seriously see a difference.

The girls are calling two to three times a day. They are so thrilled with what they are learning. It's almost as if they are in two different programs since they are in separate groups, and their experience is completely different. They are slowly getting busier as each day responsibility is added on. They are both inspired by the Bible workers and testimonies and the classes. Vanessa was so pumped last night she couldn't go to sleep. Imagine. Vanessa hyper?  lol They are certainly not starving, the food is fabulous. 

Ate my very first regular tomato from the garden. Yes! The garden beat the greenhouse. How do you like that?!

Project #2 on Friday: My empty chest freezer has been scrubbed clean! We're ready for the produce... bring it on~!

3 comments:

momof4boys said...

Oh, I have three boys that take an hour to do a five minute job and take a day to do an hours job. I used to have four that way. Ian works regular now. I'm glad he grew up! :0)

Jennifer P said...

Normal sounds great to me. Oh, I can taste the tomato dripping down my face. We are months away from a first tomato.

La Tea Dah said...

I remember washing dishes just like that. As I got a bit older, my sis and I would wash and dry together. We passed the time by telling fabulous, made-up stories (taking turns as we went). It helped to make the dishwashing more pleasant for us, but I am sure we probably drove our mom nuts!