Thursday, June 23, 2011

Wishing It Didn't Have to Be

But it seems there is only one way to get through to the little fella.
Every thing I have tried in the last weeks - aside from going camping-
has failed.

He has screamed in the hospital.
At the therapists.
At the pool.
and every where else that his silly nilly will was crossed.
And his will is apparently crossed at the drop of a hat.
He wants to be left alone to do as he pleases or else he's gonna cry.

If anyone says anything to him that requires him to 
move or
stop or
eat or not,
he cries.
If you ask him to control himself
he screams.
If you try to rein him in
he turns to spitting,
flailing,
vomiting,
kicking,
stomping,
peeing,
and ugly words.

Unless someone has words of wisdom
I'm going to clamp down hard.
He will lose ALL 
{and I mean ALL}
freedoms.
He will stand where I put him
and he will sit where I tell him.
He will eat what I give him
and sleep when I let him.
He's gonna be stuck to me 
like glue.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

If you find something that works let me know.
It sounds like your little boy and the little boy I take care of had a similar day.

Jennifer P said...

What do you think his motivation is? Is he grieving (mad = sad) or is it simply control? Does the one on one help? I would love to know. That takes a lot of energy. God will make a way.

Mrs. M said...

"Yoke" yourself to him!

Blessings and prayers,
S

MrsKish said...

I'm with Bethany, if it works..let me know. This sounds like my little guy.

La Tea Dah said...

Re: tantrums. I think you are doing everything right, Angela. I was reading this morning, a chapter in a parenting book on discipline, and everything there agreed with what you are doing in this situation. One facet, which sometimes takes a reminder when one is in the midst of such "foolishness" as a stubborn will, is to remember to reinforce good behavior and action --- constantly at first --- until the positive behavior has become a habit of the child. Once it is a habit, it is counterproductive to constantly affirm the good behavior, but it should still be acknowledged occasionally. I'm sure you are doing that already, but I know that sometimes I find it easier to enforce good behavior when it's negative than to reinforce it when it's good.