Sunday, June 26, 2011

Put to the Test

James' experience was put to the test - of course.

It's a battle and a fight right there in the heart. And though he was enamored with the armor, he's not too experienced with it, yet. When a fiery dart comes flinging your way it's easy to become mesmerized and forget to put the shield up and next thing you know, you've been shot between the eyes. OLD habits, inclination, and new ideas all struggle for the mastery. . .

But I'm here to say he overcame by the grace of God. We pulled aside from our friends at the river and prayed and talked about the darts. He knew what he should do, but no one ever said being a soldier for Jesus was easy, especially after having been a slave of self for so long. I required him to hold Dad's hand for a little breather and he soon made a very good choice to accept a happy attitude. Actually, what happened is I had prayed and finding ourselves left behind by the group and in a stinky spot, we ran to catch up. The attitude threw a few sparks and it took me a moment to realize I had not given him a chance to pray and make his own decision. I apologized and we found a log to sit on. After he prayed and made a conscious, audible choice he was on track again.

Little Miss Muffet was out of control at the picnic and had gluttony on the mind and all restraints were rasping to her very core. She was very actively seeking out other "kinder" adults to take her under their wing in order to get what she wanted. She became disrespectful and rude when nothing worked out according to plan. She and I spent considerable time in the bathroom trying to get a handle on the emotions. She was mouthy and she made some statements designed to startle me. To her chagrin I held her to them.  She kept up the scene for the entire afternoon and into the evening and not one of the little children at the picnic paid her two cents worth of attention. I don't blame them. She was not the least open to spiritual things and while she prayed a little prayer once, it was not from the heart. I just kept her close, tried distracting her, played silly games with her, and finally required her to shut her mouth and not say another mean word.

My friend was in a state of shock and awe, or distress - I never figured out which. She would come over to me and say, "I don't know where you get the patience."

I was like, "well, actually, this is nothing.  Nothing at all in comparison to what it could be. She cannot get her way and she needs a strong hand to keep her in line."

"Oh," she said, " I just don't have the patience to last. I get completely overcome with pity."

PITY? 
My dear friend, pity has long left me. 
{speaking of the kind of pity that would give in and indulge a child's fancies}
We are dealing with self and desire for full control. 
In order to be truly happy this child must learn trust and contentment. 
She needs to have the security in knowing I do not change at her whim and I will take care not to let her hurt herself, (physically, mentally and spiritually) regardless of how great the challenge she presents me.

4 comments:

Mama in Uganda said...

The Lord is giving you great wisdom, my friend.

Thanks for sharing.

And I agree, NO PITY in this home either.

Nor do I allow visitors to start down that road.

My children are NOT poor little African orphans...And I will not allow you to "treat" them as such!

Blessings and thoughts,
Summer

Jennifer P said...

Poor babies? No, I don't think so. These kids want the world but don't understand why they can't have it. It's hard work but God's eternal reward is the fruit. Thank you for sharing how you stay the course for Christ in these kiddos.

Oldqueen44 said...

The pity problem will remain for all who do not live with a "self" consumed child. If they did, they would begin to wonder, what ever happened to my merciful heart?

The gluttany issue, and searching out just the right target is a very familiar sceen here. Once they have found their target, that person is the one that needs the pity. Unless rescued by the "No pity parent" they will be pestered for the rest of the gathering... because nothing else is in the child's mind except eat before it is all gone.

La Tea Dah said...

James is a valiant warrior! During those times when he is tired and cannot face another battle, remind him that Jesus will take it up for him. In fact, Jesus is there doing that all the time! I taught my boys that at times they might not "want" to be willing, so during these times we prayed that they would be willing to be made willing. The victory is in Jesus.

Today I will be praying that Missy will be willing to accept a new heart --- and then be willing to be willing to be willing to be willing. It might take a lot of willings for awhile!

Hang in there! Your crown in heaven will be filled with stars!