Monday, June 13, 2011

Chalk That Up

as lesson number 1 of the swimming season!

They were in their swim suites ready to pile into the car when I suggested that they needed to drink water before leaving. James went for a tiny little cup. I said, "No, Bud, you haven't really had very much water today and you need a big cup". He went over to the counter and staging an accident dumped the Brita water pitcher over. It takes me a second to comprehend sometimes. I wondered if it really were an accident. Asking questions doesn't help much, he always says what you want to hear, so I just told him to get started on cleaning it up....

Well, it was nearly a gallon covering the stove, the counter, the stack of stuff by the phone, all down the cupboards and even in the drawers. The floor was wet and turning a strange yellow from the water running out of the oven. The girls waited for him and even tried to help a little.... but I shooed them away. Finally it came out that he was mad that I asked him to drink a big cup and he had purposely knocked the pitcher over. I signaled for the gang to leave. It took him and I awhile to clean up. He cried and begged to go the whole time. I sympathized with his disappointment, but that's as far as I would go.

After he carried all the towels and tea towels down to the laundry I held him and let him cry his heartbreak out. I then asked him to go and drink his water and the anger has come back full force. He's very angry now, but he has no one to blame but himself. I have no vehicle to take him, either. He owns that it is his own fault, but it doesn't stop him from shrieking his frustration out.

I think I'll put him to work folding laundry or something. Got to help him get his mind off his self-made trials.

1 comment:

La Tea Dah said...

He's learning that sometimes we are our own worst enemy. It's too bad that impulse takes charge of reason --- but eventually it will sink in for him. Grace to his mommy in the meantime!!!