Sunday, November 20, 2011

Hit the Reset Button

The attitude was still horrendous when the children woke up this morning. The aggression and the dreadful defiance permeated everything.

They were stuck in a pattern and nothing was making a difference.

I brought them into my room and put them each on a stool and I knelt before the Lord and poured out my heart in their behalf. I asked Him to hit the reset button.

I was lead to read a few passages in scripture out loud... ones I have taught the children well. They understood. I read and prayed over the promises. I called the children to give their hearts. Missy responded first. Honestly, I was skeptical. She doesn't like sitting on the stool and I thought she only wanted to get off, but I saw that she was trying and she managed to get through her little chores and get dressed and eat without further ado.

James was hard faced. It took much longer, but he eventually prayed a beautiful prayer and after he had dressed he came to me with an apology.

I felt encouraged.

They are now trying to slip back into their old thought patterns and demanding ways BUT I am keeping the tether SHORT. And I am willing to do whatever it takes to bring them around. Missy is back on the bench. James is close. We might be doing this all week. We might not do any schooling. Character comes first and until I have a semblance of a cooperative spirit there's no point in asking anything of them. I am willing to wait.

God has promised through His WORD to give me wisdom and patience. 

**

Missy threw a minor tantrum at the church for Vanessa before I had arrived yesterday. It was like, phew! At least now I know that I'm not the cause of all her fits!! Vanessa handled it right. I had stayed home an extra half hour to make sure I was ready for the guests that were coming to lunch. You have no idea how wonderful it was to have a half an hour at home by myself. Later, I thoroughly enjoyed our time with friends. It is encouraging to talk and pray together. I need that sometimes.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I got up Saturday morning with a big idea of "starting over" with Delaney. I talked to her and we had a pep rally for the start over. I was so encouraged. We made a deal...she would try to mind even when I wasn't looking and I would try to give her "good job" attention on even her smallest victories.

About 2 hours later, I was helping Jackson with something and she was supposed to be playing in her room but instead sneaked downstairs. She was spinning the babies around and around by their arms, in our den between the coffee table and entertainment center. I was horrified. The child can't even stand up herself and doesn't weigh much more than the babies.

To be honest, I was crushed. We had such a wonderful time together, coming up with a plan and I really thought she wanted to obey. I feel like such a sucker. I wonder if she gets it and is laughing at me for falling for her lies or if she doesn't even understand what was expected and what she did to my heart by disobeying. I try so hard to not become so invested in my expectations of her but I do this kind of thing way to often. I want to beleive she is changing so bad. Oh, this is so hard.

Jackson is having a hard time too. Not sure what is going on with the two of them. Holidays? Change in weather? Time change?

Hope you see some improvement soon.

Marty Walden said...

You are absolutely right that character is most important, but I will tell you it is hard when you want so much for your children to know God and it seems like every day is a repeat of yesterday's bad day. Just hold on. Change will come. And if it doesn't you are in the right place with your heart before God for him to transform YOU. Hang in there!