Friday, November 11, 2011

At The Heart

The song felt too familiar. It had lost it's allure.

I jockey for their attention, but the competition is stiff -

playmates,

friends not seen for a whole week...

bosom buddies,

and life is about relationships and we are talking about kids...

The bell ringers are distracted... Was that suppose to be the G6 or a G5?  Some beat the time steady as rain. One or two, feigning confidence but befuddled by their own anxiety, clang out of step.

The ending is a bust, but I recognize my limitations...

I signal for a change. They figure they know what's next. There's a rush for music, and though we've been singing for all of 5 minutes, an exodus for water and restrooms. I don't wait. Looking towards the sound man ~ I indicate my choice.

The first few notes waft over the hubbub and the results are immediate.

"Really? We are singing that today?!! Yeah!"

It's only November. Actually, it's already November...

The singers fall immediately into their place. They sing it every year, that is, a third of them have sung it consistently the last few years. The other two-thirds are brand new. But for most the song is still familiar.

Pleasure is evident.

To me, though, one face stands out. A newbie in the singing world.

He can only stay on tune with an inordinate amount of concentration.  But he works at it. I am grateful for Mrs. C's efforts to help me train his ear. There are a few who actually haven't figured out what singing in tune means. They haven't any idea they don't sound like the rest of the choir. It's like performing a life threatening delicate surgery... leading them to ability without destroying their musical potential (possibly for life). To sing means to share an intimate part of one's self. It's very personal. Confidence is fragile.

But his face.

At first he stood shock still - listening. Slowly the smile spread across his face as recognition dawned. His elation beams through his eyes. He's busting with excitement and can no longer contain himself,

"MOM, MOM!!!!!!! I LIKE THAT SONG!"

Our eyes lock. We connect at the heart in appreciation.

I instinctively glance over the crowd to see if anyone else  was "there", but they are blithely lost in the music.


It's the timeless old, glorious classic; the Hallelujah Chorus.

It never ceases to inspire and uplift. One can almost imagine the angel's singing above the grazing fields of Bethlehem.

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah,
 Hallelujah!
For the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
King of Kings and Lord of Lords!
And He shall reign forever and ever~
Hallelujah!



Never mind that it's frontal lobe enhancing music... It's awe inspiring, transporting one's heart to the very gates of heaven.

And he felt that. I saw it in his eyes.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Beautiful, very talented post. I was there. Really there. I can hear the angels singing right along. Wow. So precious, your sweet baby boy is just precious.

Mama in Uganda said...

We were just having a discussion in our home about the way music touches the soul...it is like nothing else. I believe it is a language that God speaks.

Blessings and joy,
Summer

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

What a great post. I really appreciate your heart to train but not discourage these dear children in their singing abilities.
When I was young a music teacher had us stand in a circle and sing a song - she walked around and listened to each student. When she got to me - she motioned me out of the circle -meaning I was not good enough. And I have never felt confidant to sing in front of people, I don't know, maybe she did me a favor, but it did not do anything for my self esteem.
By the way, I love those God moments.
Lisa :o)

acceptance with joy said...

Lisa, how many times I have heard a story that mirrors yours! I pray I never do that to anyone ever!!!

It is my belief that nearly anyone can learn to sing. Our society has destroyed music to the point that nearly 75 percent of the children who join my choir have to be TAUGHT to carry a tune. There is a comeback of classical and wholesome music by the children of the babyboomers because they know it is brain enhancing. This will take a while to affect the average child who is mostly influenced by music from the radio and tv. Kids who listen to music that has a clear melody unencumbered by a rock beat, etc... learn to sing.

Okay! off my soapbox!

acceptance with joy said...

Kelly - he is! he is very open spiritually and has a wonderful heart. Music definitely speaks his language.

Summer,
I believe it. There's even a verse about God singing over us in joy..

blessings,

Jenny said...

What a sweet story! I believe Hannah's heart will be healed through music as you are saying. When she is struggling sometimes she will go to the piano and play and worship by herself. It is such a sweet thing!