Monday, November 21, 2011

Enrolling

This will come as a shock to some.

I'm such an advocate of homeschooling...
I love homeschooling, I believe in it, I think it's plan A, but

we are enrolling Missy in the public school.



It will be for three hours total. Thirty minutes in the first grade classroom setting right by a para.... opening activities, calendars, flags, what have you... Then she will go to a special ed reading group. Then an hour of one-on-one with a teacher for math. I'll pick her up before the lunch break. She'll still do her OT, PT and SPEECH there as well on Thursdays. She will be tested next week and hopefully, shortly after that she will start. She is nearly 8 and the special ed gal kind of questioned 1st grade, but she isn't ready for more. I just told the gal I had considered kindergarten before it was suggested trying 1st grade. It won't matter to her that she's the oldest in the grade - if she even figures it out.

I would have loved to homeschool her if she would let me. Life is such a battle and I'm choosing which ones I am able to fight. School is not on my list right now. Not with her anyway. I need to concentrate on building a bond with her and the stuff that gets in the way is out of the picture. We really need a little break from each other to soften the intensity of the issues at this time.

I know.... I had wished I had the guts to enroll James at the beginning of the year and now I am so THANKFUL that I didn't. This other situation has worked out perfectly for him and me. He is learning so much and I don't even mind that it costs us $300 a month, even when I feel like I don't have the $$ some months. I know that I am still having to teach him reading and math at home, and it isn't always easy, but we can do it. We drove into the driveway after picking him up from Mrs. C's today and the neighbor kids were just getting ready to sled in the new snow that fell this morning. They shouted greetings to each other and James hollered, "As soon as I get my school done, I'll be out to go sledding!" And he came in and we sat down and did his lessons with no trial. Now he's out sledding. We'll have our ups and downs guaranteed, but at least there are ups in the picture.

I will actually have days in my week where I will have nearly three hours at home with just Christina. Amazing!  This move to put Missy in school is as much for me as it is for her. Believe me.

8 comments:

GB's Mom said...

I believe you. I can't even hold the thought of homeschooling Hope in my head for more than a few seconds, much less actually do it. Now that she is comfortable at school, they are getting the same reactions I get at home when Hope is asked to do something she doesn't want to do. And I have hours every day where to don't have to fight to breathe.

I think it is a good move for both of you. {{{Hugs}}}

Kelly said...

The wonderful thing about Jackson and school is he is PERFECT at school. No pressure of love there so he behaves for them. You know I thought about homeschooling him and I have actually thought about homeschooling Delaney too but I really do need that time away from both of them. It allows me time to regroup and feel refreshed when picking them up from school. Good for you recognizing your need for space. I really think this is the right call.

Annie said...

Hi Angie ... I'm breathing a sigh of relief for you! May you find some joy in the journey now as you tackle a little bit smaller Mount Everest :-) Love & prayers for you, friend!

Dawn said...

Good for you. The thing I found with my little guy, is he needed me to be his mom, not his teacher. Best decision we ever made. He is right where he needs to be.

La Tea Dah said...

I'm behind you 100% --- it sounds like you have a great plan for Missy. I think it is important to do what's "best for the child". It makes you no less an advocate for home education. There will be lots of that going on the other 21 hours of the day! I hope you relax during your 3 hours of break time each day!!!! A cuppa tea and a good book sometimes (I suspect you'll more likely be vacuuming, baking, and getting as much done as possible!). When is the new plan starting? (You probably said --- I'll go back and read the post again).

Dee said...

((((((Hugs))))) You have been through a lot and you need a mental break. There is nothing wrong with taking it. Public school offers a lot of helps for children like her and it's good to take advantage of your tax dollars.

Remember that there are different seasons in our lives. This is a season. Maybe the season will one day change, maybe it will just be different, but each is only for a season.

In the grand scheme of things, nothing is as important as relationships! This is what you are building with God's help!

Know that I admire you and all you do! Don't grow weary...you will reap a harvest with these children...don't give up.

Praying that God continues to direct your every step and choices! Praying right now for a wonderful Thanksgiving Day for you and your family...

Much love in Him,

Dee

Anonymous said...

((Hugs))

Don't worry, I don't think anyone is disappointed. You have big challenges and you are right to not have to fight every fight. Your kids deserve your joy, and I imagine this little break will do wonders for you all!

Praying for you, cuz I imagine this isn't easy to admit... even if right now it feels so right, part of you is probably wishing it could have worked out. ((Hugs)) sent your way!

Warmly,
~Melissa

schnitzelbank said...

I think you're making a good decision. This will let you focus on healing hearts, and less on having to do the schooling part, too. There will be less contention and I bet your whole family will benefit from this decision, not just you and Missy! You have to think of the big picture and what is right for everyone in the family. I'm impressed with your ability to reason through these tough decisions.
When will she be starting at school? Has she ever been to an outside school before, or has she only been homeschooled? How is she feeling about this change?