Monday, November 21, 2011

Carrots with Garlic Glaze & Roasted Carrot Soup {Food Idea of the Week}


This post is dedicated to Jason
since he loves carrots so much.
:-)
I dare him to try the glazed carrots at least.

We had a lot of carrots to use up, so the notion to look up carrot recipes came naturally.
I grabbed a shovel and a couple baskets and headed out to clear the last of the carrots from the middle garden.
It's a good thing I did.
It snowed a day or two later.
I also gathered an armload of leeks for the
Carrots with Garlic Glaze


The recipe I used is here:

Carrots with Garlic Glaze

This was a total hit with my family and even me!
The sensational essence combined with incredible Asian flavor transformed my kitchen,
and had me thinking I could almost match the elegance of the food at the
Wild Ginger,
a high end restaurant in Seattle.

I messed up on the recipe when I inadvertently added minced lemon grass
when I thought I was adding minced ginger.
I went ahead and added some fresh ginger,
and I think the lemon grass only added to the flavor.
I'm not so sure the hot pepper sauce is necessary-
perhaps a shake of cayenne would do.
The leeks are very nice, but if you don't have any, don't let that stop you from making the recipe.
And I think discretion in the use of oil to saute the carrots is wise.
A little goes a long ways.

I envision this served with rice, fresh spring rolls, and potato curry, but really the carrots go with any savory meal.

I had two recipes to try and a lot of carrots and I couldn't quite decide which one to try,
so I did both.


You will find my next recipe here:
Roasted Carrot Soup

This is simple.
Roast your carrots, yams, onion on a pan in the oven along with garlic cloves still in their paper beds.
Then add it to your broth and blend. That's it.
The hint of ginger and nutmeg make this a very pleasant hot soup
even if I don't actually like cooked carrots.

Yes, it's true. Grated into soups and sauteed lightly has been the extent of my forays into the land of cooked carrots before this. .

No comments: