Sunday, November 6, 2011

Cuisinaire Rods

Are a big hit - even with Missy.

She is step by step getting the process in place.

First read the number. Pick out the matching number of plastic ones and place them on the practice grid. Next read the sign. Decide ( + or - ) is that  add or take away?
After that read the next number. Count out  the matching number of plastic cubes to add or take out.
Count.
Write the number.
Remember what color that number is represented in. Choose the correct rod.
Find the correlating letter on the grid to the letter on your problem.
Place the rod on the letter to the right (Not to the left as she naturally does everything, being a lefty).

YOU have NO idea how challenging it is to think through all those steps in the right order and not get lost part way through, but she persevered to the end of the exercise and looks forward to more.

Today was GOOD. Calm, peaceful, hardworking applesauce day. We even made a hula hoop from irrigation pipe and florescent pink duck tape. James is pretty determined to learn and he is doing it.


3 comments:

Julie said...

I should totally buy some of those rods. Love math manipulatives. I so hope the hula hoop helps so much and it should help at least a little from everything I've read. :) Have a great week!

Dawn said...

May I ask what worksheets you're using with the rods? Thanks!

acceptance with joy said...

I am using Picture Puzzles with Cuisenaire Rods by Patricia S. Davidson. printed in 1979 So I am just copying pages out for the kids to use because I don't think I can buy this book new.

It's not a big book and I think it's not big enough :-)

There is another book on the Cuisinaire website that I am going to get after we have done what we can in this one.