Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Wishing We Didn't Have to Go to Bed

because Missy is so very sweet and mellow tonight.

Nearly everyone has had to have a turn at putting her in her place today and yesterday, but ever since she's calm, relaxed and genuinely content.

It's a glimpse of what she will be.

She spontaneously apologized for some earlier behavior on her own.

The Bible story tonight happened to on the parable of the two boys who were told by their father to go work in the vineyard. One said, "Yes, Dad, I will obey" and did not, and the other said, "I don't want to", but felt sorry later and did obey. Missy is perfectly portrayed by the first boy. She often hollers that she wants to obey but she makes to no move towards doing so. I've been trying to help her understand that talking is very different from doing. I'd forgotten about the parable. It was the perfect story.

This morning after visiting for a bit I reminded Missy that she probably ought to get going on her morning routine so she would be ready for breakfast on time. We were leaving the house and she would only have so much time. She said she was going to make her bed, but every delay tactic known to mankind started playing out one after the other. I looked at her and said, "I don't think you want to make your bed, so you need to sit beside me for awhile".

"I DO want to make my bed".

But talking is not doing,  kiddo. Sit here.

"I WANT TO MAKE MY BED!!!"

Well, not right now. You are sitting with me for awhile.

She sat and every once in awhile she announced that she was ready to make her bed. I just told her that I wasn't sure she was quite ready yet.

When I finally let her off the couch she fairly flew through her chores. Because I had delayed her, though, her meal was meager... but she did get some.

So anyway, tomorrow is a new day not a continuation of today and I'm wishing she didn't need to go to bed because there's no guarantees, though I think the more happy times she allows herself the more she might decide she likes it that way. The more she partakes of the peace Christ offers, hopefully the more she will desire it.

1 comment:

stellarparenting.com said...

a new day indeed, may it be a good one.