Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sir, My Wheel is Falling Off!

I hate that when that happens...

Every time we get the tires changed on the suburban we have to go back and get them all tightened again because invariably one or more of the wheels come loose. We didn't go back soon enough. I was stopping and tightening the lug nuts with my fingers and limping my way to the tire shop.... and I still completely ruined the left back wheel.

The first time was the worst. It was the front left wheel that time. I called my husband in a panic and he sent me to the GM dealer and they looked around and decided I needed a new transfer case. They said it could wait a few days.  We considered trading it in and took it to the car lot. They also said we needed a new transfer case. The noise, the shakes, the whole problem got worse and worse and worse until I was driving home down the highway at 20 miles an hour and barely made it to our town, called my husband and said, I can go no farther...  I hopped out of the car and found the front wheel had only one lug nut left and all the bolts were sheared off. Since then we always check and recheck, but  this time it wasn't soon enough.

I pulled into the tire shop as they were closing. They replaced the wheel for free because they were the ones that changed the tires in the first place.

My poor car. The door handle broke again. I have to roll down the window to open the door. We have three seat belts chewed up that we are trying to find replacements for. The back doors are not opening properly.  The air conditioning doesn't work. I need another 40 thousand miles out of this thing - it only has 263 thousand miles....

2 comments:

Sean Nebblett said...

Sounds familiar. :) Our Suburban has 353,000 miles... And I don't even know how many new door handles it has had in its years. We finally retired it to "wood truck" but that was only 10,000 miles ago. Ahh, the joys and challenges of an aging fleet. At least you can know yours is in good company. :D

acceptance with joy said...

Oh.... well, in that case, we have another hundred thousand miles to go!!
That's good news, really. We really don't want to buy another car. :-)