Thursday, October 20, 2011

That Boy

James came home last week from his class with a project he's been working on for a few weeks.
I am amazed. 
Aren't they beautiful?
The first one he made for me and the second one is for dad.
I framed them both.
He knows the names of the flowers.
He'll tell you which are bell flowers and which are petal flowers, etc... too.
Every day he surprises me with his knowledge of the wildflowers and leaves and bugs. 
Just the fact that he can recall all the names of these things and go out and identify them is mind boggling to me. He's been doing this class for what, 5 weeks?

He was kind of having an up and down day.
I'm guessing he's over tired.
Got mad when I said no more veggie chips for lunch.
When he didn't recover in a timely fashion I sent him to time out
and he lost his cool.
So a little thing became a great big thing. 
And to make a long story short,
Dad had him moving some rocks and clearing dead branches and leaves for awhile.

When he was done, he came to me with his hands behind his back.
"Mom, close your eyes.
Okay, open them."
And he hands me two furry, grey-green leaves.

"See, lambs ears.
Aren't they soft?"

I love it!

Once again he had a problem.
 Had trouble with obedience and respect.
This time I had him write 4 sentences.
Took him awhile.

 He was soon plunking his melody out on the piano, again.

Next we went out to supper for Christina's 14th birthday....
And if Buster Brown didn't find something to cry about!!

Oh, well some days are like that.

I'd say he's tired, wouldn't you?
Too much learnin' is exhausting, I take it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did he have to write sentences? For picking the lamb's ears? Is it possible he didn't know not to pick the lamb's ears? He was allowed to pick the wildflowers and made you those beautiful pictures. Perhaps he didn't see the difference? Just wondering what his thought process was.

acceptance with joy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
acceptance with joy said...

I do try hard not to be an unreasonable mother. Even if he picked my favorite roses I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I see, I see. It was just the way it was phrased. My three year old just ripped out my huge, beautiful zinnias by the roots, in an attempt to pick them. Ran through the house, leaving a trail of dirt. He's a sweetheart. :)

Julie said...

I can so relate to James. I have up and down emotions like that as well. Even as an adult it is so hard to control our emotions. This post makes me want to cry though thinking about how far he's come! Really, it amazes me.

Julie said...

Oh and I forgot to add, what gorgeous pictures. So glad you framed them. Very talented young man. :)

stellarparenting.com said...

he is growing in so many ways, what a great kid he is becoming, I know sometimes it is hard to see but it is happening. Hang in there, you are doing a great job!

~marci~ said...

What art work! I would prize them too! I have things my son put together that he told me i couldn't take apart or throw away...sit on my dresser to remind me that he is artistic...in a different way! He has always been a tinker with what can be put together, not what he could do with pen and paper!

Vanessa said...

Just a note;

in this class there is one teacher and 2 kids, so, I'm not discounting that the teacher's talent was very involved.

I still prize them. And I am still amazed that he can participate in such gorgeous crafts.

Jenny said...

Beautiful! He is doing so well! You are doing a great job!