Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Speech Evaluation

This week our speech therapist at the hospital returned to work from her maternity leave.  I asked her to do an evaluation to see where we were as compared to before. Obviously she was going to do that anyway since she hadn't worked with them in some months, but I wanted to know her honest opinion on whether she believed James needed to continue seeing her as he is  doing so well and he has speech at the school once a week, too.

Amazing. He almost doubled his scores from last time. I think since he is reading he is so much more aware of sounds and letters and the way words and sentences work. He learns fast.

He went from way out there to within normal range in every area but one. He is still struggling with expressive language.  Well, that was no surprise, but I do believe he'll get there.

So, no speech at the hospital for him which is great, because the teacher at the little school would like to use Tuesdays as make-up day when she needs to.

Missy didn't make any progress whatsoever. She stayed absolutely the same. Speech therapy continues.

James did school in the car today. Actually asked to do it. Alas, every time I have something good to report, there is the opposite as well. We did quite a bit of school, but then he decided he didn't want to do it anymore and Whala!! he suddenly could not figure out how to do it at all. I took it away for about 15 minutes. We sort of tricked him into giving the right answer, but then when I handed him the book again he went straight into stubborn mode. I prayed and decided to take my own advice... and marked the spot with an X for wrong and put the book away. He's been doing laundry since we came home. There's never a shortage of that.... and the dirty clothes absorb the silent tears  well enough.

Missy has had a hard lesson today, too. Nothing new. Didn't come to breakfast. We left at 8:30 AM and so she had to go to speech without eating. After speech, though, I had her container of crock pot beans ready for her. That's what we had eaten for breakfast. She was feeling all smug eating in front of James. A while later I brought out James' sack lunch and bought him some hot potatoes to go with it. She was certain that I should have bought her hot potatoes, too and wailed loud and long. She was so offended!! I talked her through.... eating now would be for gluttony since she had eaten well an hour and half ago. She had not come to breakfast when I called her, so whose fault was that?  She knew. Hers. I asked what she was doing in her room that kept her from coming. "playing with dolls". Oh, Doesn't mommy give you time every day to play with your dolls and play what you like? "No".... oooops! WRONG answer. So, this evening she is playing dolls in her room even though she doesn't really want to. I told her I insisted so that she knows that it isn't necessary to be playing dolls when mom calls for breakfast. She has other time to play. Watch next week she will be there for breakfast on Tuesday and then she will insist that I buy her hot potatoes for her lunch. She won't forget!!!! And woe unto me if I do. lol.


1 comment:

Kelly said...

So proud of James!!!! He sounds like such a neat kid with such great potential. I am so glad he has you to find that and work him hard to see it to fulfillment. You are an awesome mom and woman of God.

Missy will come around too. I have always said girls are harder than boys. You can put a strong-willed girl and a strong-willed boy next to each other and the girl will outlast the boy every single time. Hang in there.